Please Help! Waterproof Mattress Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anybody used a Naturepedic waterproof mattress? Did you like it? Any other suggestions?

My son is a heavy nighttime wetter and has ruined multiple traditional mattresses. I have tried plastic mattress covers, waterproof mattress pads and nighttime pull-ups (Goodnights). With his SPD he takes the Goodnights off, says they are uncomfortable (he is also embarrassed to have to wear them) and sometimes they leak if he leaves them on anyway. He somehow manages to pull the sheets and mattress pads off his bed in his sleep as well as ripping the plastic zip on cover. I can't tell you how many plastic zip on covers I have had to replace. I think a small tear will start because we have cats and he sleeps with them, the cat puts it's claws in the bed and a small tear eventually turns into a large tear.  Anyway we just threw out another bed and he is temporarily sleeping on a blow up mattress. He literally soaked through the whole mattress and into the box spring. I need to get another mattress but it has to be waterproof. I can't afford to keep replacing mattresses. I am thinking about getting this one http://www.naturepedic.com/products/mattresses/ultra_organic_twin_full_mattress.php

Thanks!

PS I know there have been a lot of iffy/spamy/fake posts about pre-teen / teenagers with bedwetting issues but this is a real and nightly issue in my home.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm waiting to hear about this too.  We have the same problem with ds#1.  Nothing seems to help and the plastic covers always rip and then the mattress is gross. 

#3 of 7 Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have those mattresses here. I think a cat would put a hole in it unfortunately and that would be an expensive waste. Does the cat have to get in that room?

Beyond that the mattress has cloth on the seams so they recommend a cover anyway. My son puked on the bed and it left a slight stain.

I don't think I'd invest in them for that situation and I'm sorry. I would be frustrated too.

Is the blow up bed working? I slept on one my entire pregnancy because of reflux issues (long story). I guess the crinkle and all might disrupt sleep though?

I'm sure you have tried alarms? Has a doctor talked about trying medication?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 7 Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't understand the advantage of organic filling if the waterproof cover is sort of everything-proof. I think I would look into the hospital-type, heavy duty mattresses and spend the money on the toughest outside layers, not paying extra for the filling.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#5 of 7 Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree with pp, cheap air mattress sounds like your best bet.
And then do a load of laundry of the bottom sheet and blanket.

Hospital mattress would be really nice if you could keep the cat from scratching it to bits.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

we have had this problem (when we had cats).  We have a bizarre solution.  We put the cheap plastic zip cover, then a cheap cloth mattress cover, then another cheap zip cover and mattress cover.      We ad 2 sets of sheets and a speare cheap mattress cover.  In the morning, I would strip the bed, wipe down the mattress, and lock child & cats out of the room.  Once the plastic had dried, I would put the mattress cover and sheets back on the bed and let them back in.  I found I had 2 problems.  1.  The cat paw padding would sometimes leave small holes on the plastic, which was less frequent with the mattress pad barrier, and 2.  My DS would pick at the holes until the were large rips or he thrashed around enough that they ripped.

With our very complicated solution, even when there was a big soaked through tear, the second mattress cover had protected the bottom plastic cover and the mattress was intact.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my DD (almost 7) is a heavy bed wetter too.  We had some success with adding in adding one of those "diaper doublers" (like a maxi pad without waterproof backing) to her pull up (she uses Good Nights now too).  When she briefly wet through those, we got a size larger pull up and used adult absorbancy depends inside (the pee rarly made it past the depends and onto the pull up).  If none of that works, I'd suggest just using a decent inflatable mattress long term... I slept on one for several years in grad school, and I have to say that I still find a firm air mattress to be one of the most comfortable ways to sleep.  I'd suggest geting one that doesn't have the velvety side (or flip it over if it does) because that can hold moisture and doesn't wipe off as easily.  I guess a less popular but easier fix would be to try keeping the cats out of his room at night....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page