Tell me about your experience with: Interactive Metronome, The Listening Program, Fast ForWord, Vision Therapy, Linda Mood Bell, Orton Gilligham - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Tell me about your experience with: Interactive Metronome, The Listening Program, Fast ForWord, Vision Therapy, Linda Mood Bell, Orton Gilligham

Have you tried these programs? Did they work? Pros and Cons? Your child's dx?

We are starting some of these approaches this summer for my son - dyslexic, SLD reading and writing, ADHD, SPD, CAPD.

I am really hopeful but nervous.

Thanks

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We have done Sounds In Syllables for 3 years now which is a branch off of OG. I didn't seek out this particular program, I was wanting something OG based though, I sought out our therapist and this is just what she used. My 9 year old DD1 is going into 4th grade, she has SPD, is severely dyslexic, and has an anxiety disorder. Her progress has been nothing short of a miracle to me. She started therapy when she was 6, the summer before entering 1st grade. Then she could barely recognize her own name, could reliably identify 2-3 letters, could not count past 10. Her testing then showed her obviously well below K level. She worked 4 hours a week year around in her intensive therapy sessions. We have spend thousands, and every single penny has been well worth it. Progress hasn't always been easy or fun, but it has happened, with a lot of hard, hard work. She will "graduate" at the end of the summer from her program. She reads above grade level, her comprehension is at an adult level. Not to say that school isn't still difficult, it is, it always will be. She will always have to work 2-3 times harder then the other children, but she CAN do it! She does't enjoy reading, I do not know if she ever will, or if it will just take time. I truly can not say enough good things about her therapy and her therapist. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You don't say how old your child is but we did the PACE tutoring system with our special ed teacher - one summer and they use a metrenome within the system.

I have to say I saw great changes and I think it helped both my children.

The oldest is not dyslexic but he did the system along side his younger severely dyslexic child.  Our special ed teacher came across the program and liked what she saw - so trained in it and brought the program to our area.  She does other things as well - so he's been exposed to OG, Slingerland and lots of other things for her.  I'm a believer in exposing them to as much as possible - she also had a sound therapy she wanted us to try - which we did not have the funds for at the time. We have not done vision therapy but we did have special reading classes (tinted) for him which I believe helped.  

So back to the metronome therapy - I know my older son used this to help him with learning spelling words - he would create a beat and tap it out in his pocket when sitting in class to remind him of a word

my dyslexic one would use a basket ball to create the beat - hey whatever works right?

I think some people will think it all a bit odd but it appeared to work.  Now my dyslexics spelling is way below year average - but he can use these systems to pass his weekly testing and that's what counts.  My thoughts are whatever it takes you to get through school - once out of school you can decide what you want to be - and many very intelligent / dyslexic  CEO's are out there.

reading is never going to be his forte so eventually we were exposed to books in Audio format and he gets all his text and reading books through Learning Ally - but I know he still uses these tips and techniques he learned in PACE.  Another thing they learn in their is word recognition and memorization (something he was struggling with).  He reads at least two year below grade level without Audio books but his comprehension is about five years above grade level.

hope some of this helps you decide what to do next - it's such a journey for us and for them

#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

My son is 12 years old and since starting the programs at the beginning of the summer we are already seeing results! Keeping my fingers crossed that things keep looking up.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

You said your son was starting IM therapy last summer.  Can you tell me his results and what you think about it?

#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi dgely - My son has participated in a number of therapies - Vision Therapy, Interactive Metronome, Intergrated Listening System, Fast ForWord, Linda Moodbell and others. He is making great progress but it's hard to say, with so many variables, which thing is helping the most.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page