Update on my DD :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For anyone that has been wondering..

DD1 has been in occupational therapy for her motor planning delays and her confidence issues for a few months now.  Since she started she has made a marked improvement!  She is at the playground almost daily so she can practice both physical things and social skills.  She has learned to ride her bike and rides it a mile to the park every few days!

She has almost "graduated" from the OT program.  Her OT is going to put a focus on socialization for the remainder of her sessions.  There is another child with similar issues who goes in for speech therapy at the same time, so they are going to do a part joint session to help both of them socialize.  

Her OT also put in a referral for speech therapy, she's concerned about DDs articulation.  I guess I've never noticed it too much... DD has always had a somewhat advanced vocabulary so I suppose that masked it.  She uses the "t" sound for "hard c" and "k" sounds.  The other day we were sitting on the couch and she asked me, "Mama, what's this table doing here?!"  I didn't really understand it until she showed me.  She meant cable, my phone charger.

We are also still waiting for the socialization playgroup.. hopefully that comes sooner than later!  We're waiting on the behavioral therapy too.. her control issues are still ever so apparent...

Anyways, I just wanted to update.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Good news! I've been following your posts since your DD sounds a lot like my DS and we both live in big cities and deal w/public trans and lots of walking with low tone kids. Were you able to work out the transportation issue? Also does your DD use training wheels? My DS, 5, hates his little bike w/training wheels. He complains it's too hard - and it is hard for him with the low tone issue. He is really good on his scooter but I want him to use the bike more to improve strength and balance. Any ideas on how to inspire him to keep trying. Again good news and hope you get the social playgroup - we are paying out of pocket for a small social speech group this summer.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

We are also still waiting for the socialization playgroup.. hopefully that comes sooner than later!  We're waiting on the behavioral therapy too.. her control issues are still ever so apparent...

Such a nice update!!  I think in some ways it's a good thing that not all the therapies happen at once -- it would make life even crazier. dizzy.gif

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Right now we haven't gotten the transportation thing worked out yet.. they do have a program for it, but I'm waiting on a call from their social worker to start that process and set everything up.  I know that has a waiting list too and they are unpredictable (some days they may call and let you know they can't make it).  It has gotten a little better, DD will now sit next to people on the bus (she had scary fall on a bus because she refused to hold on and I couldn't catch her in time).  We still have to wake up super early, and take two busses and a train, but depending on my DH's schedule, he can take us halfway and we just hang out at Dunkin Donuts if we're early.  

I also love that things are spaced out.  I think that would be really overwhelming for us all!  This week is her last week of park district programs.  She's not doing anything else until the fall.. I may put her back in gymnastics, she really loved it but couldn't keep up.  I'm not sure yet.  We have a class picnic tonight at one park and a class party at another park tomorrow, so I'm hoping she points out her friends so we can exchange phone numbers and such.

RJ11, regarding the bikes.. yes, she uses a bike with training wheels.  It's this one, her uncle bought it for her for Christmas.  I feel like it's a lot sturdier than some of the really cheap bikes.. the pedals seem to function very smoothly.  It was tough at first- she would accidentally pedal backwards instead of forwards and it was really frustrating for her (I actually think I had a thread about it!).  I think that self motivation was what got her over the hump... she really wanted to keep up with her older cousins on their bikes this summer.  She's still pretty slow on it, and has had some trouble navigating and steering.. but it's getting better with practice.  I think we first brought it out in late March... and she has been practicing frequently.  Have you tried a balance bike with your DS?  My DD1 wouldn't go for it, she never did learn to balance and she has now outgrown it.  I'm using it for my 2yo currently, and she seems to be catching on quite well!

What kind of scooter do you have?  I've been looking into one for my 2yo, actually.  She's the athletic one in our family, apparently!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM

RJ11,

Just wanted to reply concerning the bike issues.  My son is in OT for low tone, poor motor planning, fine/gross motor delays. 

But, he has been successfully riding a two-wheel bike since he was 4!  Have you ever heard of a balance bike?  I would strongly suggest you get one for your child.  It teaches them balance, where a traditional bike with training wheels does not.  It is a bike with no pedals and then just sit on the seat like a normal bike and push with their feet to go.  My son learning in this manner in a month or so and rode away the first time we put him on a bike with pedals.

Bike riding is great exercise for him now and he is so proud of himself for being able to ride.

User Tag List