Is integration better? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the encouragement, SpottedFoxx.

Linda, DS is usually labeled as "good" when he is deeply involved in something. He has obsessions with trains and vehicles that have wheels. So when the Dr. handed him a toy bus, DH and I glanced nervously at eachother - knowing he wouldn't be displaying any noticeable Autistic like behaviors during the meeting. If that bus weren't there, I'm pretty sure the DR would have seen a different side of him.

Linda, I'm not sure if the school year program is an inclusion program or not, but I think your hunch is correct that lack of inclusion is due to it being a summer program. That would be a good question for me to ask the next time I speak to the Dr/chairperson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Also, and this part is back to you and your thread, is the school year program an inclusion program? I was wondering if lack of an inclusion element to the program was due to it being conducted in the summer time.

The Dr./chaiperson called me today, and apparently our last eval was in August of last year. It was in a different school district and I had thought it was at least a year and a half ago - boy does time go by slowly when you are trying to get help for your LO. We are only eligible for one Psych eval each year, so she recommended waiting until September for the entire eval, even though we are eligible for a new OT every 6 months.

I kind of felt that September would be too late in the school year, well past the start date of the beginning of classes. But I told her we are entitled for OT and Speech and that's what we are requesting - and we would like that done now. She said they could use the older Psych eval, but I think we will try to get a new one maybe through insurance or if it's not incredibly expensive, pay for it ourselves, since it seems he has become worse since the last eval.

She also wants copies of the eval, to provide to the committee. I don't think this is fair, since he was labeled "ineligible" for services. I'm just so uneducated about this that I feel like I could easily be taken advantage of especially when they see the old eval where the evaluators kept commenting on how advanced his language and math skills are. Not that I'm complaining. Very happy to have him doing well in those things, but it sure isn't helping us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisreturning View Post 

... So, all that is to say: It could be the case that their evaluation process determines that your child does NOT meet their eligibility criteria for special education. That does not mean your child doesn't have special needs! 

My DD (who has global delays and gets services in a lot of areas) was/is certainly delayed in fine motor skills, but didn't qualify for fine motor therapy when she was in preschool, because she wasn't as far off the norm at age 3 as she is now at age 5, and the academic expectations depend more heavily on fine motor skills at the kindergarten level (writing letters) than at the preschool level (holding a crayon). 

That is what kills me about this whole system. My DS is in the 5th percentile (or maybe even worse since he still grasps the pen and fork a year after he placed in the 5th percentile). He is 4 and can not pedal a tricycle. Wouldn't it make more sense to help now before things get worse? To me it seems like a waste of money to wait until things get really bad before helping out.

There's also an emotional component to my frustration at the system, because my child could be helped early and thus do better in life. At this point, I'm feeling like it's harder to get services in the state or area where I live, than in other places. I just can't believe on his last evaluation how many evaluators and teachers told me "it seems like Aspergers", but couldnt help me because he didn't fall within the "communication" guidelines for autism.

It will certainly be frustrating if their process doesn't surface his real challenges and needs upfront... but that isn't necessarily the end of the line. If general education with no supports doesn't work for him, it will become obvious pretty quickly, and you (or his teacher) can request a re-evaluation. Just wanted to reassure you!

Thanks for the reassurance. Somehow I just have a feeling that he falls within the range where they are not going to help him, especially after the conversations that I have had with this Chairperson. The evaluation agency that we chose mentioned it might be easier to get services if they could see how he does in a preschool setting. I am now considering enrolling him into a summer program and paying out of pocket.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#32 of 38 Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1Thing2 View Post

The Dr./chaiperson called me today, and apparently our last eval was in August of last year. It was in a different school district and I had thought it was at least a year and a half ago - boy does time go by slowly when you are trying to get help for your LO. We are only eligible for one Psych eval each year, so she recommended waiting until September for the entire eval, even though we are eligible for a new OT every 6 months.

I kind of felt that September would be too late in the school year, well past the start date of the beginning of classes. But I told her we are entitled for OT and Speech and that's what we are requesting - and we would like that done now. She said they could use the older Psych eval, but I think we will try to get a new one maybe through insurance or if it's not incredibly expensive, pay for it ourselves, since it seems he has become worse since the last eval.

She also wants copies of the eval, to provide to the committee. I don't think this is fair, since he was labeled "ineligible" for services. I'm just so uneducated about this that I feel like I could easily be taken advantage of especially when they see the old eval where the evaluators kept commenting on how advanced his language and math skills are. Not that I'm complaining. Very happy to have him doing well in those things, but it sure isn't helping us here.

Why should you be responsible for providing it?   If they found him ineligible last time due to that evaluation they should have a copy.  If they lost it... too bad so sad.

You may want to invest in a private evaluation so you can get an unbiased opinion.   As wonderful as my district has been in providing services, I have always trusted a private physician/therapist, etc. to do his evaluations.  That way, I know that the primary focus is on my son and not covering the school's bottom line.  If you call your insurance company, they can give you a list of providers who specialize in diagnosing autism, speech delays, etc. so you can get a focused evaluation.  

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#33 of 38 Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1Thing2 View Post

I'd consider asking the Chairperson where she got the information that your ds' last eval was in August as your recollection is different (I would requesting -in writing- your son's complete educational records from his previous school (wrightslaw has a sample letter for this and other topics). The Chairperson is not an advocate for you--she is an advocate for the school. Her recommendations may be more convenient for her but are not necessarily in your son's best interest. IDEA states that "the new school shall take steps to promptly obtain the child's records, including the IEP and supporting documents and any other records relating to the provision of special education and related services to the child..."  

All requests you make to the school:

1. Do it in writing. (If you are asking for an evaluation, also state consent).
  2. Reference the applicable law, and the time frame allowed by law (60 days, without unnecessary delay, 90 days, etc).
  3. Send the letters to the principle and the resource teacher (in this case, the Chairperson, I think).
  4. Follow-up verbal conversations with an e-mail summary/your understanding of what was discussed.

I'm a little confused as to how he is entitled to OT & ST if he was found ineligible for services, but if that is so request the OT & ST in writing.

I would consider requesting your son's complete educational records from his previous school (wrightslaw has a sample letter for this and other topics).

Also, if you disagree with the school's evaluation, you are entitled to an IEE at public expense by a qualified provider of your choice. But, when a child's issues are on the boarderline or they tend to "perform well" in evaluations, having the example of him in school can be to your benefit (particularly as his "issue"'s impact on his ability to receive FAPE is what determines the need for services). When the school does convene the IEP meeting to prepare for his comprehensive evaluation I'd consider submitting a document for record that includes things that tend to result in him  "evaluating well" and cause the results not to be representative of his general behavior (such as his obsession with trains and wheeled vehicles) causing him to be "focused" and quiet.

Independent Education Evaluations: What? How? Why? Who Pays?

Independent Evaluations: Must Parents Select an Evaluator from the School's Approved List?

How Can We Get an Independent Evaluation (IEE) by ...

The Art of Writing Letters by Pam and Pete Wright - Advocacy ...

Quote:
What does a good evaluation look like? Look at this evaluation to see what a comprehensive evaluation includes and how the test information is presented.

Your state department of education (website) will be able to direct you to parent education classes for special education, and will have a document explaining the law and procedural protections to parents. The website should also have a list of free/low cost advocates.

These books will also help (as well as the wrightslaw website):

• Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy
  • Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, Second Edition (the website and previous book reference this book often)
  • Wrightslaw: All About IEPs
SpottedFoxx likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#34 of 38 Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Emmeline - found out that the Chairperson was correct, the eval was in August.  I can't believe it was less than a year ago, but we have had a pretty rough year. Unfortunately, it falls right on the cusp of the start of the new school year. So I am going to have to get creative here.

You said that the Chairperson is not an advocate for me or my DS, and I am *totally* feeling it through her attitude. My son sat quietly for the 15 minutes that she saw him, but the way she made me feel was as if he was calm and pleasant all the time, and I was making things up! I brought my video along with me and she didn't want to see it. She also had my DS's Pre-K registration sitting there on the desk, and I could see the "request for religious exemption to immunization" form. She may have thought badly of that, but who knows.

Thank you for the legal info about communicating with the school district. I will be able to use that.

In NYS, the child is entitled to an OT and ST eval every 6 months, but only a Psych eval every school year. I don't know why they do it like that, but it seems like the school district can twist that to their advantage, as the Chairperson tried to sway me to wait until Sept. for the entire eval.

I also spoke to the agency that we are doing the eval with (through the school district). It seems they are on the same page as the Chairperson, and after having spoken to the Chaiperson, the eval agency called me and wanted to do the entire eval in Sept. I had an appointment with them early next week, but it got pushed back to mid July. So I scheduled an OT eval at our local hospital through our insurance company, because I don't want to wait anymore for my DS to get help, and at this point, I feel like there is a push against us for whatever reasons, for him to score ineligible for services next year.

Right now I'm also looking at pre schools to get him involved in. Wow - are they expensive!! I'm starting to think we may have to wait until he is enrolled in school. This September, he may get accepted into Universal Pre K (a pre k program thats free in the State of NY, if your child gets drawn in the lottery). If he is found ineligible for this year, at least they will see his behavior in pre-k and I know through that, he will definitely be found eligible during the next eval. It's just the longer we wait, the worse he gets. So I have a big decision to make.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#35 of 38 Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Found this thread and I just wanted to update.  Its been a year since I first posted this question. Since then:

DS was accepted into the upk program in a typical classroom setting. And his teacher is amazing. She has 2 sons with sensory issues and has structured the classroom to minimize sensory overload. She has also paid special attention to DS, helping him with his fine motor skills and social skills. He did very well for a while with the support he was getting from this wonderful teacher. He did so well that the school district wanted to keep him in a typical classroom for next year. But he has been trying so hard at school, and then coming home and breaking down. It's been rough, especially lately.

His teacher, developmental ped and psychologist all agreed that an inclusion type classroom would be best for him for next year.

I just had the CSE meeting today and he will be continuing OT and he will be in the inclusion kindergarten classroom next year. His classification in the school district is "autism". I wasn't sure if I should go for the "other health impaired", but I heard that the autism classification will get him more help.

So finally, a year later he is going to be in the best setting for him. So happy right now. broc1.gif

#36 of 38 Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Great news!  It sounds like he has had a positive experience this year and that things are well set up for next year.

We don't use the term 'inclusion' classroom where I live. We have gen ed (the regular class, which can include lots of pullouts for therapies and help as well as teaching assistants to work with special needs kids) and cross category classrooms (which have only children with special need and are taught by a teacher with certification in special education).

Can you tell me more about the classroom that your son will be in next year?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#37 of 38 Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, Linda. From what DS psychologist says, its very similar to an integrated setting. The classroom will have 2 teachers and possibly up to 2 assistants. One teachers area of expertise will be special needs.

The classroom will include typical as well as non td children.

I wish I knew more about it, but I was so happy and surprised that the board agreed that I walked out of there speechless and didn't think to ask about it. I think I will call the special ed chairperson or the secretary tomorrow and get more info as I have been a little curious about it.

#38 of 38 Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

That sounds like a great setup. One of the things that isn't great about the gen ed track where I live/work is that often special needs kids end up in situations where NONE of the adults presents knows anything about their needs or how to address them. Multiple teachers/aids in a room usually means lunches/breaks at different times, so the child always has someone with them who *gets* them.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page