Mothering Forum banner

Weighted/Deep Pressure Vests Houston Tx

958 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Veronica Valdez 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone in Houston Tx knew where I could purchase a weighted or deep pressure vest for my son? My son has sensory issues and were told this would help him, with his sensory issues as well as his temper tantrums, and help him focus/concentrate..
I am having trouble finding a special needs store and don't want to buy online since I want to be able to fit the vest on him. Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you!

#2 ·
You can start out with a rash guard (swim shirt) a size or two too small for compression. If you can sew, you can make your own compression vest or weighted vest. Get your son a denim vest (or jacket and remove the sleeves). You can either put weighted fishing balls in the pockets or you can sew velcro onto the shoulders inside the vest, get small flat weights and make a "sleeve" for them with the other piece of velcro and then connect the weights that way.

for the compression vest - get a light weight vest. On the sides, sew a long, strong strip of stretchy material with heavy duty velcro on it. So many strips so that it covers the body of the vest and when he puts it on you just wrap it and pull it tight.

If you google it - I'm sure you can find lots of ideas on how to make them.

#3 ·
I am going to agree with the PP. I found (by accident), that a tight neoprene life vest works very well as a compression vest. You can by them at Academy. We have a homemade weight blankie that we use as well. We also hooked a snuggle swing to a bar in our doorway that is a great retreat when things become overwhelming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.