Food intolerances and behavior issues...help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!  joy.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!  joy.gif

Thank you smile.gif. I really appreciate all of your help once again.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglife View Post

Did his digestion also improve with his behavior? You had noted before that his stools had been filled with undigested food. I'd be curious to know!  Curious too how you threw epsom salts into the mix.  He would be absorbing magnesium from the salt baths, a natural relaxant, calming agent, and histamine reducer....the epsom salt absorbs toxins as well.  Did you do this on instinct?  Great idea!

It is interesting isn't it how dramatic the improvements can be. I wouldn't "mess" with it though if I were you by reintroducing foods right now. Get comfortable living in the "new normal" for a while.  Over the years, i've seen for us, that there isn't just "one" thing, or "one magic cure all".  ASD has multifactoral causes and health, digestion and allergy issues that walk along side that either make worse or even cause symptoms.  If it is working, keep doing it.  Even if he can eat some of these removed foods why take a chance right now. 
I also just want to commend you on your determination to figure out how to help your child.  He's a lucky guy and you're a great mom!

Thank you for your kind words smile.gif. You're right... We are going to wait for a bit to introduce anything. The Epsom salts were just something easy to try and I had heard of it on here. His digestion has definitely improved with his mood. Strangely, he had a couple bad moody days, and digestion was also off those days. I couldn't figure out why.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it happens again (moody and digestion off) write down what he ate. Get ingredients.for everything. Post it here if you don't see the problem foods. I'll bet it's something already identified that's hidden.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

If it happens again (moody and digestion off) write down what he ate. Get ingredients.for everything. Post it here if you don't see the problem foods. I'll bet it's something already identified that's hidden.

The weird thing is he definitely didn't eat anything different. We've been doing a restricted diet of some type with him for almost three years and literally he eats nothing that hasn't been cooked from scratch so I just don't know what it could have been. I've never been able to get a really good handle on whether or not he's sensitive to sals but I don't think he is. Maybe that was part of it though...too many berries at a time? I don't know because he has been fine with that other times.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, you may be right...it probably is that he ate a little too much of something he can only eat in moderation or small amounts like salycilites...

It may also be that he will gain a much higher tolerance level over time as you supplement him and his digestion improves enormously.  I forget, are you giving him probiotics.  If not, that is a must, or if he will eat or drink fermented foods, even better.  My kids love Kombucha because it is fizzy like soda.  You can get trillions of probiotics in just one serving of fermented foods (raw sourkraut, Kimche, raw pickles raw  relish etc).  I like the bubbies brand for raw fermented veggies and we buy Kombucha from whole foods)

It sounds like you guys are doing so much better.  I know how much determination it take to stick with it. 

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM

You also need to remember that a low salycilite diet needs to be looked at as food taken in over the course of the day, sometimes over the course of a few days.  The goal is to eat a low to moderate amount of salycilites and to add it up over the different foods eaten.  It may be that berries on day one are fine because he ate few other salycilites, know what I mean?  If he really likes berries and he may be sensitive you have to balance intake with other foods eaten.  There are also food strategies you can use to help the body rid or digest the salycilites faster.  Feingold's book talks about this...it's been a while since I read it, or used the suggestions, but I think people have used a spoon full of peanut butter if you think a child is having a reaction to salycilites.  (Something about the high fat/protein content helps the body metabolize)

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you livinglife! So much helpful information! We have been doing probiotics, but honestly of everything we are doing, it's the one thing I frequently forget, mainly because I don't think I'm supposed to do them at the same time as the enzymes so I forget even though I have a note taped to my fridge.

So would any raw pickles provide probiotics? Like something off the grocery store shelf? I have the Feingold handbook so I'll have to look into the peanut butter thing, though he has a peanut allergy supposedly so i would have to find something similar. Thanks again smile.gif.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Hey, no problem for the info...when my son was three I remember the feeling of working so hard to get a handle on what helps.  As for eating "raw" fermented food it is even preferable to probiotics and can replace them due to the high amount of naturally occurring probiotics per serving in raw foods.  Read the label.  It has to be refrigerated, fermented, non pasturized raw pickles.  They have the same sour taste but it's achieved without using vinegar but with fermentation.  Cool, huh?  Leaving cucumbers in a dark vat with water and salt makes them taste very sour and creates TONS of lactic acid and naturally healthy bacteria.  It's the way that our ancestors used to eat because it preserves the fall harvest to last through the winter.  One of the reasons we are not as physically robust anymore is because we've stopped eating these kind of raw foods and have replaced them with vinegar soured food.

Take care!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM

I hope it's okay for me to jump into this thread. I wanted to share that I give my kids L-carnitine. While they are not officially diagnosed with hypotonia, both of their physical therapists said they are on the very low end of "normal." Within a month of starting them on L-carnitine, each of their PTs (and their PTs didn't know each other) noticed huge improvements during their therapy sessions. We noticed more confidence and less reluctance to try more physical activities. Within 2.5 - 3 months, my son "graduated" from PT. We (as a family) had been on the GAPS Diet for almost a year at this point, but it wasn't until we added the L-carnitine that their PT sessions improved dramatically. Initially, I started my son on it because I thought it would help with oral motor muscle-building and help him speak clearer, but when his gross motor skills began to improve, I started giving it to my daughter as well. Both are doing very well (physically) on it.

Kelly Dorfman, author of What's Eating Your Child? has some information about all of this on her site: http://www.kellydorfman.com/images/Low_Muscle_Tone-website_1_.doc

GNC sells at least two versions of L-carnitine. The one we buy has only L-carnitine in it. The other ingredient is the gelatin for the capsule. I open the capsules and pour each of my kids' amounts into their daily smoothies (along with cod liver oil, probiotics, and CoQ10). CoQ10 is supposed to complement the L-carnitine. Vitamin Shoppe carries a brand that only has CoQ10 (and no fillers). We broke the bottle for it a while back, so I can't remember the brand (sorry!). By the way, every so often, GNC offers sales on the kind we buy. Keep your eyes peeled for that in case you decide to give it a try.

I second the probiotics suggestion. We eat a little sauerkraut (Bubbie's is delicious if you don't make your own) before lunch and dinner (and sometimes with breakfast), pickles, and yogurt (when I'm making that), and drink kombucha, water kefir, and dairy kefir. We also take a probiotic (Biokult). My son doesn't care as much for kombucha (depends on how the batch turns out), so I add it to their smoothies. Mwuahaha!

Also, on non-bath nights, I rub magnesium cream on my kids (since they aren't having an Epsom salts bath). Magnesium is amazing!

I hope all continues to go well for you and your son!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Aegis and LivingLife! I am so grateful to you both, and everyone on this thread and for MDC. Aegis, I read something about L-carnitine levels being low in kids with apraxia too. I'm definitely going to give that a try. What dosage do you use?

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I've read this thread about five times now because there is so much info to process and consider and you've all been so helpful smile.gif.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Wow Aegis and LivingLife! I am so grateful to you both, and everyone on this thread and for MDC. Aegis, I read something about L-carnitine levels being low in kids with apraxia too. I'm definitely going to give that a try. What dosage do you use?
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I've read this thread about five times now because there is so much info to process and consider and you've all been so helpful smile.gif.

Yay for sharing information! Easily my favorite thing about MDC. :)

I give my kids about half the recommended dosage (most sources I've found say 50 - 100 mg per kg of weight). We've found that effective for us, though again, my kids weren't diagnosed with hypotonia nor apraxia.

At one point, we thought maybe the L-carnitine was affecting our son's sleep, so we took him off of it for a week. After a full week off of it, my friend gently said to me that she was having trouble understanding some of my son's speech (he had been speaking much clearer when we started him on it). I was so glad she said something because I was thinking the same thing and was concerned we'd have to restart speech therapy. We started him back on it (turns out it was NOT interfering with his sleep) and his enunciation became dramatically clearer.

I'm interested in hearing how it goes for your son if you give it a shot. Please keep us posted! :)

Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM

I really appreciate the good information here too.  I am always happy to share what I have found out and I pick up interesting nuggets all the time from my little angel pushing me to read here or read there.  Just following and sharing on this thread, I picked up some ideas for new supplements from Aegis, after reading the article you linked us to on vit e, l-carnitine, and Co enzyme Q10 for issues of low tone and low stamina.  This will help my youngest child and I bought the supplements this morning.  It's an answer to my question about how to support her stamina and physical development nutritionally as she gets tired easily, is clumsy and has poor motor planning skills.  Thank you.  We all learn from each other!

User Tag List