non potty trained ASD child and preschool - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Surely this is a common issue! What the heck do you do? There are no public education preschools in my area, private only. DS1 receives services from the school district so they will pays portion of his preschool fees since he is supposed to go to school in order to receive services. only in order to go to preschool, he has to be potty trained. Facilities that are daycare oriented are the only ones that take non potty trained children. School starts in a month and there is no way it will happen by then, it hasn't happened in the past year. I am not even sure the preschool will want him now with his PPD-NOS dx, very small town, they will know and every other school has wait lists to the point where he wouldn't get in before K age anyway, he is 3 now. He is rapidly getting more quirkier by the day and more and more difficult to handle. This school is willing to take SN children if they can accomadate with minimal disruptions to other students because it is so small, they do not have the staff other wise.

In some ways I am sad about the actual label of PPD-NOS rather then classic autism because it limits our services. He was missing one social piece in the social category, more then enough to qualify in every other section. He does very well in one on one therapy/eval settings, real life is another story. He did ok at a Speech play group last spring that was like a preschool but he has certainly changed for the worse since, he barely functions in our own family these days.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#2 of 2 Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I'm so sorry you don't have better options in your area. greensad.gif But I admire your strength and commitment to your  little boy! 

Would driving to another bigger city nearby be an option since the options you do have are so limited and perhaps not options at all?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page