how do you keep them occupied? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, 

would you share your summer schedule with me?

I am going bonkers with my adhd family and am physically exhausted. i think i need to keep them occupied, but don't really know how, any ideas?

i am looking for something like a summer program for at home, ready made because i don't have any creativity left to pull something myself. does anybody know something?

x-posted parenting

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

How old are your kids?

#3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 6 years, DS is 4 years and DD2 seven month

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#4 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have an ADHD 8yo that I homeschool and a high needs 3yo.  Best thing I ever did was spend the money on a swing set and a sprinkler.  We all go in the back yard and play.  I even get on the swings with the 3yo while the 8yo is "manning the ship" and then I get to read for a total of 5-7 minutes during runs through the sprinkler.  If it's not too hot, I take them on a walk.

Otherwise, the 8yo gets into reading or his Legos and I'm left to entertain the 3yo--which I try desperately to pawn off on Play-doh, scissors/paper, wipe-erase cards for learning to write letters and numbers (I could care less if she does it right, but she wants "schoolwork" and this "qualifies" in her mind eyesroll.gif ), coloring, paper doll stickers from Melissa and Doug, and letting her think she's scrubbing veggies in the sink when she's really just making a wet mess.

But outside is pretty big.  Especially for the ADHD.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

I have an ADHD 8yo that I homeschool and a high needs 3yo.  Best thing I ever did was spend the money on a swing set and a sprinkler.  We all go in the back yard and play.  I even get on the swings with the 3yo while the 8yo is "manning the ship" and then I get to read for a total of 5-7 minutes during runs through the sprinkler.  If it's not too hot, I take them on a walk.

Otherwise, the 8yo gets into reading or his Legos and I'm left to entertain the 3yo--which I try desperately to pawn off on Play-doh, scissors/paper, wipe-erase cards for learning to write letters and numbers (I could care less if she does it right, but she wants "schoolwork" and this "qualifies" in her mind eyesroll.gif ), coloring, paper doll stickers from Melissa and Doug, and letting her think she's scrubbing veggies in the sink when she's really just making a wet mess.

But outside is pretty big.  Especially for the ADHD.

yeahthat.gif

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a few things that help me--not quite what you were looking for but it may help.  I have a couple of watering cans, big sponges, and spray bottles that I send me kids in the yard with when they need something to do.  I also set up stations around the house with activities.  I have a listening station for my older kids and have headphones & audio CDs from the library or an iPod & audio book from Learning Ally for my dyslexic daughter.  Another station is play dough or stamps/stickers where they make pretend mail and deliver it around the house.  I try to keep them separated when I need a break from the noise, and get them all involved in different activities--it helps a lot.  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page