SSI approval (maybe) help calculating payment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any families with more than one child on SSI I am trying to find out if they count other childrens SSI when calulating payments?

I just found out that my DS was medically approved. They will not tell me anything though untill I do another phone interview to determine eligebility, I assume that is because it has been so lond since I applied they need to make sure all of the income info hasnt changed.

My oldest DS is already on SSI and so is my DD (28 weeker) but that is our only income. I have one other not eligeble DS, I have tried to look up info online but cant find any. I have done the calculations counting the SSI as unearned income, and that way he will get only a small payment, but I dont think they can count the other chilrens income the same as they would count mine. Is that right? Anyone have any experience with this?

#2 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM

I am not sure, but I do know the max allowable on SSI here(louisiana) is 694$(is that the amount your other child is receiving?).  So, if that is your only income, then that should not be a problem at all.  We make about 1000$ a month and my 5 yr old gets the full amt of SSI. When my husband was  making 2000$ a month, my son still got the full amt.  But when we make 3000$ a mth due to massive OT and 3rd paycheck months, my son got about 200$.

So I don't see how if you are only collecting SSI on 2 children as the only source of income, how that would affect the other child's payment. 

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#3 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

My concern was that they would count it as unearned income which is counted different. I know that I cannot count THEIR SSI as my income on credit Applications and such so I dont think that it should be counted as MY income, So I guess I will have to wait and see. I am just so anxious to get it figured out. We got approved on an appeal and I waited forever to even apply because I had to fix a BC error before he could get a SS number.

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking online also.

Steph

#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't count as unearned income -- typically disability benefits are not held against you that way.  At least in Maryland, where I live.  Have you considered applying for food stamps?  Sounds like you would qualify for those too.  Good Luck!

Trix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page