Currently Evaluating, but I'm worried we're missing something.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are getting my DD evaluated. She's 5. We have had 2 appointments so far, and next week the dr. will go over his "findings" or his observations, or whatever it's called..

But...

I'm worried we are missing something. Basically, I have already taken gluten out of her diet, and every week it seems like we see more and more progress since we've cut it out (end of March, with some hiccups along the way). I already avoid artificial everything, pretty much, especially food dyes since they VERY negatively effect her mood. We follow a lot of advice I have gotten online, and from books I have read concerning Sensory Processing Disorder, as well as Spectrum Disorders. I have already pro-activally done most of the things that parents do with their children who have been diagnosed with these things, and I have seen a great amount of progress.

But it's been so long (and never for some things) since we have had her on a "modern" diet. We've never eaten like the "average-joe", so to speak, but things used to be way worse, until we slowly started phasing things out, and adding in helpful foods and supplements.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that right now, as we are, we could be at a point that even if she maybe has mild Aspergers/SPD it could almost go undiagnosed. If we really have partially "conquered" whatever it is that is causing my daughter so much anxiety still, then how do we know what is really going on?

Does this make sense? I'm sorry. It all makes sense in my head.

From what I've got so far, the Dr. who is doing the eval. sees some rigidity and need for order. He isn't sure what to take over her not wanting to be touched, or loud noises. But, with only one of the two appointments being with Jasmine, how can you really see what else is going on? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I think the line between just quirky and being on the spectrum is a thin grey line. It's not black and white like so many people think.

I think that how well a child does compared to what is generally expected of a child their age in our culture is part of what defines what is typical and what is not.

Is you dd starting school this year? Does she attend preschool?

Even if your dd isn't not diagnosed at this time, she might be later.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's true and makes a lot of sense. I need to remind myself that there may or may not be something, and that it's not like we can't reassess the situation down the road.

She starts kindergarten in September.

I was hoping to get something in motion so that we can help her transition to school go more smoothly. She never went to daycare/preschool and I can count on my two hands the times we had to leave her with friends or family.

User Tag List