Concerns with 14 month old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!! I posted this on another message board, but you guys are more knowledgable, in my opinion.

I've been worried about autism since i was pregnant with my LO. I'm just neurotic about it all-- I can't help myself, it's like an obsession.

Does anyone mind if I share some of my concerns? Ok, good wink1.gif

He's 14 months, 13 adjusted (tomorrow.)

I've noticed that he doesn't really look where I point-- he mostly just looks at my finger. He doesn't seem to follow my gaze at all. A lot of the times he'll look if I say "look at the picture or flag." I feel like he knows those words and just looks at the items I say- I don't know if this counts. He does point, however. He points to interesting things and to things he wants me to get him.

He has ZERO stranger anxiety, like none at all. He'll let anyone hold him and it's totally fine. He did it just yesterday at a BBQ. An uncle that he's never seen picks him up and he's peachy keen. Once in a while if a stranger says "hi" in the store he'll sort of nestle his head onto me as if acting shy or bashful.

He really doesn't have any separation anxiety. Only at night. If he wakes up and I'm not there he screams.

He doesn't have any true words. He babbles a Ton and has begun mimicking a lot. He understands lots of what is said to him. He knows two body parts (when I say where is your ear? Belly button? He touches them.) he can follow some simple commands like "get the ball" or "give me that" or "open the window" (on his toy house) he's even begun to dance on command lol. He claps when I sing "if you're happy and you know it" he loves being tickled and held.

He has great eye contact and always has.

He really doesn't "play" too much with his toys. He likes to flip through books, opening and closing them. He likes to bang toys together and puts toys into containers, but really doesn't stack his blocks. He also loves to put things in his mouth.

He's very active and loves to go all around the house exploring.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything here. If youve read all this youre a saint.

So, what are your thoughts here?

Thanks for reading!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Sounds like a very healthy 14 month old baby.  Not all babies develop stranger anxiety or separation anxiety.  I think my son did for a day or two (he's not autistic).  Not following stuff could be normal and it could be a vision issue - ask your pediatrician at what age a child should follow instructions to look at something and maybe ask for a ophthalmology consult.   Babbling is talking at that age.  Keep a close watch on it though and when in doubt.... check it out.  You can either get a private speech evaluation (which I recommend doing) and/or contact early intervention for a consult.  From what I have heard... it's very hard to get speech approved through EI so doing the private eval first may help because if you do need speech, they would have to go against your speech therapist which wouldn't be smart on their part.

Try to relax (I know, easier said than done) and enjoy your child.  However, if your instincts are telling you that something is wrong - get it checked out - a copay is worth peace of mind.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM

I agree with SpottedFoxx. I have a 4-year-old son with autism who has not progressed as far as your little one in many of the areas you describe. The babbling is a really good sign. What you describe seems more age appropriate. For example, when you said he looks at your finger instead of where you are pointing, my son wouldn't even look at my finger if I did that. Figuring out where to look takes time. I have two neurotypical children, too, and I remember having to work to show them a pretty bird or something I wanted to point out as toddlers.

I also agree, though, that it never hurts to keep your eyes open and keep noting your son's development because a mother's instincts are powerful.

I have seen various autism screening tools for toddlers that help professionals see if a child should be further evaluated. They might have like 20 questions and if you answer yes to a set number of them, you should look into autism more. Maybe you can google and find an autism screening tool for toddlers.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That sounds exactly like my son was as a baby - zero separation anxiety (we used to say if we put him in the mailbox he'd go off with the mailman - lol) , didn't usually play with toys the "right" way and instead came up with his own ways to use them, was constantly in motion and exploring things, great receptive language skills but not much on his end, etc.  He is a very high energy, march-to-his-own-beat, very bright 8-1/2 year old boy at this point.  Personally, nothing you've mentioned would concern me at all at his age.  Of course keep an eye on things, but try to relax a little and enjoy your guy!

I have a video of him at about that age sitting on the floor, whacking himself repeatedly in the head with an empty plastic water bottle, giggling hysterically. He used to like to walk around with empty water bottles and put them places, and see the different noises they'd make when he whacked them on different surfaces.  He was a funny toddler (and is still a funny kid).  Ahhhh, memories.  

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

User Tag List