Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Today we were told that my 11.5 year old son likely has nephrogenic diabetes insipidus.  We go for tests tomorrow to confirm.  He has been on lithium (for bipolar disorder) for 4 years and if he does have it the lithium is what caused it.  I am feeling so scared and guilty (bc we chose to put him on meds even though I know he needed them).  The dr said the damage may be permanent.  He will have to go off the lithium and try and restabilize on another med which is terrifying for me.  He has done so well on the lithium and I can't even begin to think about going back to how things were when he was unstable.

Regardless of how it was caused has anyone else dealt with diabetes insipidus?  The dr has me kind of scared, telling me how dangerous it will be if he ever got dehydrated and how he's at risk for some big long word I can't remember, basically electrolyte imbalance.  And if it is permanent does that mean he'll be suffering incontinence (100% of the time at night, urinary leaking during the day) for the rest of his life?  The poor kid has been through so much, I can't believe there is yet another problem.  I just want his life to be easy, not deal with all of this. :(

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sorry mama. I don't have advice. Your poor son and you to have to go through all of this.

#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We got word today that the diagnosis is confirmed.  He definitely has nephrogenic diabetes insipidus.  We have a long road ahead of us for many reasons. :(

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#4 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I'm so sorry. I've been following your posts for years and I really feel for your son. He has been through so much already.

I'll be keeping him and your entire family in my thoughts.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I too have been following your son's story. I am sorry this has happened to him.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page