IEP = no regular diploma?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has dysgraphia and pandas. He needs some supports in school, his teacher suggested an IEP. The evaluator that diagnosed his dysgraphia told us NOT to go for an IEP as any student with an IEP can not be given a regular diploma. Is that right???
#2 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

That does not sound right.  I am sure that plenty of kids with IEPs have been given regular diplomas, otherwise there wouldn't be all that fussing about the parents of perfectly bright kids seeking IEPs to get their kiddos extra test-taking time.  I would want to consult other authorities if I were you.

#3 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

It didn't sound right to me, which is why I am asking here. Not sure how to find this out.
#4 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM

My younger brother had an IEP from 1st-12th grades due to serious medical issues, and he absolutely received a regular diploma, was accepted to college, etc etc.  I have never heard of an IEP impacting a student getting their diploma from a public school - in fact, that sounds like illegal discrimination to me.  I would check with your school district or a counselor at your child's school, they would probably know.

#5 of 7 Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM

No, that's not right at all. Students with an IEP can and do get regular diplomas -- the person who told you that was misinformed.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post

DS has dysgraphia and pandas. He needs some supports in school, his teacher suggested an IEP. The evaluator that diagnosed his dysgraphia told us NOT to go for an IEP as any student with an IEP can not be given a regular diploma. Is that right???

jaw2.gifNope, not correct nono.gif. IDEA is about ensuring access to the general education curriculum in the regular education classroom to the maximum extent possible, not prohibiting SE students from receiving a regular diploma. If your child meets course standards (even with an IEP duh.gif ) then he gets a regular diploma. It's always a good idea to verify these things--I was told by my ds' school 1st-that I could not see ds' evaluation prior to it's presentation at the IEP meeting, then that it was up to the evaluator whether or not I saw my ds' evaluation prior to the IEP meeting-- I emailed them the text of the federal statute and a link wink1.gif. My state's law actually states that they have to provide it to me 3 days prior to the meeting.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/nltr/11/nl.0517.htm

"Wrightslaw: From Education to Advocacy"

"Wrighslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition"

"Wrightslaw: All About IEPs"

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 PM

If your child has an IEP so that they can fulfill the requirements set forth by your district/state to receive a diploma he can earn one. If despite your child's IEP they do not fulfill graduation requirements they will probably receive a certificate of completion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page