overnight diapering for tube fed baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the best diapers to use for a baby getting overnight feeds with a g-tube?

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Anyone have any suggestions to offer?

#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Depends on the age/size of the child and how often you will be changing the child.  We use target brand diapers, but change diapers during the night.  If you are not going to change the diaper I would recommend nighttime pull ups for a bigger child (since that is what they are made for.  Also, you can put a chux pad under the child so if the diaper leaks, the whole bed is not soaked.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was asking for my SIL. My nephew is 16 months (14 months adjusted.. he was a 33 weeker) and weighs about 19lbs. he has had his g-tube for almost 2 months now. he wakes up very often in the night, but they prefer not to do diaper changes because it takes two people to do them (he has already ripped the button out once and it fell out another time when the bulb thing had a crack). right now they have been using huggies over night diapers in a size up. and he still pees out about 3 times a week. I thought maybe a cloth diaper would work better because she could load it up with multiple overnight soakers if needed, but she's not really a cloth person so i thought i would ask here for any other thoughts/suggestions.

thank you for your response. i really appreciate it!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#5 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ok, well I have 2 comments on that note.

If the rationale for not changing the diaper is that the child pulls on the button, I would suggest covering the button.  You can use cloth with velcro or a 4 inch coban (disposable), and just make a "belt" than fits snugly around the area with the g-button extension coming out at the bottom (away from hands).  You can also start diaper changes with a toy.  Hand the child the toy, change the diaper, take the toy back.  It is only for play when you are having your diaper changed.  Another option is to put a little plastic bowl (upside-down) over the button but under the shirt before changing the diaper, the child can't move the bowl before you are done. Lastly, tey can change their baby "backwards"  They flip the child on her tummy, and put her diaper on backwards, but it prevents her from pulling her tube.

Not changing the diaper can lead to so many problems (yeast rashes, irritated skin, etc).

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page