Does anybody have experience with this? Please take a quick look...Elevated CK - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are trying to figure out whats going on with my son. He's 9, and has a history of leg/muscle problems after illness. Its very acute, and only happens about once each summer. He gets a summer cold/stuffy nose virus- with a sore throat, always a sore throat ( but only has had strep 2x and this has happened 6+) and a fever. Even a slightly elevated temp- last week only 100-  He seems better, then after a few days cannot stand one morning. Crying in pain. It hurts him behind his knees and at the calf muscle. ( He will sit on the couch, or crawl around, and say that only feels stiff) Last time his CK level was 1500 a few days after the episode. It came back down over the next few weeks.He walks awkwardly for weeks afterwards and is weak but then recovers fully. He has been rechecked in between and CK was good. Lots of other bloodwork done but everythings ok.

He has had episodes of muscle fatigue/cramping/pain playing ball on hot days and hiking in warm weather, too, but is a pretty active kid otherwise.

He now sees a neuro dr who is inclined to think it is a muscle enzyme disorder and has mentioned a muscle biopsy. She wants to be sure its indicated but says there are some muscle enzymes triggered by heat. She has recently rerun bloodwork and we are waiting for results. Last week he had strep, felt better, had leg stiffness, but it never developed into anything more :) She ran his blood on the "stiff" day and ck was normal.

This does not happen in the winter. He can get the same upper respiratory stuff and he's fine.

I am so worried for my boy. Google is tough. I figure some Mama knows something.

Thanks

#2 of 3 Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I can certainly understand your worries. Anything back on the blood tests?

Should this perhaps be in the Health and Healing forum? I'm not sure if you had a reason to post it here in Special Needs parenting. Is your son a special needs child?

#3 of 3 Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have also posted it there, but I remember reading about mito and other muscular issues here, so am hoping experienced Mom's can help us...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page