Help! Anxiety in 4 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 yr old has always been extremely attached.  we started him at mom's day out at 2 twice a week and he cried at every drop off :(

At age 3 he did 3 mornings a week(9-2) and again, cried nearly every drop off.  The staff is great but it just continued.  He's 4 now and is in the preschool now 5 days a week from 8-230.  He freaked out on day 1 and took off running down the hall after I left and his teacher had to go after him, it was heartbreaking.  There is no option, he has to go.  I am in school full time, work part time and my husband also works so he has to go somewhere :( I don't know what to do about it, I just keep hoping it would get better.  And he is perfectly fine and happy during the day, he loves school but is shy(he actually refused to talk to my sister until he was 2 yrs old and he saw her all the time!).  Is there anything to do?  Anything to ease dropoffs?  I brought it up at his 4 yr checkup but his pedi didn't really advise anything since it isn't lasting through the day, just at dropoffs. 

One note-there seems to be "something" else possibly going on--he has always been active, really in overdrive since he was a baby.  I've often wondered if he is sensory seeking with movement(that's really the only issue that I have seen).  I don't know if any of this is connected or not but it doesn't hamper him in anyway(yet).  I worry if we don't figure this out soon it is going to start hampering him but have no idea here to start!

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son used to get anxious when he was outside playing with his friends about when he would have to come inside. He's 7 now but this was happening at age 6. I actually used to take him to a therapist that specialized in childhood anxiety (he was anxious in school too)- and to help with the anxiety about leaving his friends, the therapist suggested that I get him a watch and tell him what time he needed to come in so he could look at it whenever he wanted and would have plenty of warning as to how much more time he had. Maybe you could get your son a digital watch, and tell him when the numbers say 2, 3, and 0, you will be there to get him. I think it helps if he has something concrete that he can use to predict your return. And try to get a cool-looking watch so he feels special wearing it.

User Tag List