n/g tube help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 17 month old got an n/g tube a week ago, so tje whole thing is still new. 

How often do people replace the tube and switch sides?

The valve that connects to the pump is already loose and it doesn't even stay closed with tape. Any suggestions?

#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC, Lisa! I wanted to bump up your thread for attention. Anyone have experience or advice to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Replace whenever it needs it.  I know some parents who have to replace theirs daily (do to the child pulling them out).  Some replace them every week.  Most hospitals usually change them every 72 hours in the PICU, longer in the NICU.  I would suggest calling the GI nurse and asking what your doc recommends.  

How long are they anticipating using the tube for?

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#4 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

The nurse told me, they keep them in for awhile, but I called the supply company and they said insurance will cover 1 per week, so that  gives me a better guide.

#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

The nurse told me, they keep them in for awhile, but I called the supply company and they said insurance will cover 1 per week, so that  gives me a better guide. At this point, we have no idea how long he will need the tube. At least a few months.

#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please call your doctor's office for further instruction.  It sounds like there wasn't much information shared about care and maintenance of the NG tube.  Also--read the packaging.  The NG tubes I am familiar with say that they can be left in place for 30 days (it is printed in small letters on the front of the package they come in).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page