Dealing with school services ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We homeschool but in our state homeschool kids receive special education services. So my son has received speech therapy as a drop in client once a week.

We moved but we're still in the same special education consortium so his current IEP and services should remain. School started almost a month ago and I still haven't heard from the speech therapist in our new school district.

When I called this summer to notify the consortium we had moved they told me to expect a call to set up a conference. I have never heard from the therapist.

I have contacted the new therapist a few times (3 calls and 2 emails I think) and the special ed consortium again as well. The last time I left the therapist a message asking if she could just give me a call to let me know she knows my son is on her case load. I haven't had any replies so far.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or if I'm expecting too much too early. I guess maybe they are still getting settled. We never had that type of delay with the old school but this one might be different. I'm just surprised she hasn't bothered to return my calls or emails. I don't want to turn off the therapist working with my child by being too pushy. Do I just let it drop for a while?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#2 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

It's been a month and you haven't heard anything back? That's just really odd. I would elevate. I'm not sure what the means in your situation -- the principal?

I would be as non-confrontational about it as possible, and perhaps word it that I'm double checking the email address.

On one hand, the beginning of the school year can be crazy. At the same time, there's no reason to not take 30 secs and let a person know that you got their message and they should expect a more meaningful response in a week or two.

I would also start logging ALL contact with them -- every email, every phone call.

Good luck

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would, very sweetly and almost apologetically, contact the district office. Ask politely who you should be contacting. Act like you think it must be a misunderstanding, all your fault of course. You understand how busy they must be, this time of year and all. Oh, how you appreciate the work they do, and how stressful it must be. I would pour it on thick. Think southern belle. But stay on the phone until you get a real answer.

PS - this is my current favorite style, and is working well for me in dealing with bureaucracies

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I would, very sweetly and almost apologetically, contact the district office. Ask politely who you should be contacting. Act like you think it must be a misunderstanding, all your fault of course.

Wrightslaw calls this the "Columbo Strategy" orngtongue.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM

Whenever I have ever had to call a district office more than twice,  I show up in person.  Works beautifully.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page