Taking phone away from special needs teen is causing a war, help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My special needs daughter is 19 years old and unfortunately has no idea of how dangerous it is to talk to strangers wether it is on the computer on the phone. We have taken away her computer priviliges after years of trying to teach her about internet safety. She is a master at getting around parental controls etc... and likes to visit chat sites and give out our phone number to strangers. We have put every tool we have from our phone provider into use to make things safe but unfortunately we can not block all out going numbers. We can't leave her alone without a phone incase of emergencies but if we leave her with the phone she calls local dating numbers and the strangers who's numbers she has(numbers that we can't block). Now are big problem is that when we say no phone it is world war 3 in the house. She will yell and scream that she wants her phone, we try to get her to go to her room to calm down but she comes out 10 seconds later and gets in our face. This goes on for 2, 3, 4 hours until she finally worn out I guess but at this point her father and I are about ripping our hair out. Any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of tantrum would be awesome.

#2 of 3 Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

They make a cell phone that you can strictly limit the incoming and outgoing calls to pre-programmed numbers. My friend has it for her daughter with similar issues. I have a call in to my friend to ask the name of the program, and will come back when I get any info.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 3 Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Got it - the company is KAJEET. My friend swears by them. I know it won't make your daughter happy or address the tantrum issue, but it can keep her safe while allowing her to have a phone for the right purposes.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page