does anyone blame themself for a child's learning disability? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My child is 8 - almost 9.  I always wonder if there was some way that I could have prevented his learning disability.  He fell off a chair when he was 18 months old - could that have been it?  he got a vaccine when he was 1 - mmr- could that have been it?  he ran right into a wall when he was 2 - could that have been it? he was anemic when he was 18 mos old - could that have been it? oh and his birth story - could that have been it?  I know there is nothing I can do now about his past - but I do wonder if any of these things contributed to his ld, it upsets me but I can't dwell on it and I only can look forward to his future and know that it is bright and he will come out strong because of his learning struggles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

I used to do that, but I finally got past it.

I'm not sure what helped get past it, but your post does resonant with how I used to feel, and I those thoughts haven't gone through my head in ages.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Not the learning disability, my 9 year old is severely dyslexic. What is done is done and I just can't beat myself up over it. We had similar things when she was little, the only vax she ever had was at 2 months and she reacted to it. She had a series of very high fevers as a baby, like 106-107 high. She also has SPD and an anxiety disorder. I think her system was fragile when she was younger and I've worked so hard to get her to function as well as she does today. Frankly, I think she could of been a lot worse if things had been slightly different. Now DS1 is ASD and I do have to try REALLY really hard not to blame myself. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Peony...what kinds of things have you done?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page