Mothering Forum banner

Does this sound like Metabolic Disorder?

735 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ebaron85 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here.

I have a 3 year old son Rylan, he has some issues going on that I was wondering if some of you may have an idea on? He has Epilepsy, Failure To Thrive, Developmental Delays, low upper body muscle tone/weakness and some minor GI issues. Can anyone tell me if these sounds like a possible metabolic/mito disorder? His issues did not start until he turned 2 years old, and before that the only issues he has had was that he was very clumsy, but other than that he was perfect. He was always small since birth so they weren't concerned about that just recently when he went down to less than 3% on the growth chart with height, weight and BMI thats when he got his FTT diagnosis. I am just curious as to what you ladies think.

#2 ·
Only replying because I did work with a child with a mitochondrial disorder and symptoms were similar including no symptoms until age 2. The thing is, it could be lots of other things, too. You could request a test for mitochondrial disorder. the child I knew had a muscle biopsy done to confirm.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBeth View Post

Only replying because I did work with a child with a mitochondrial disorder and symptoms were similar including no symptoms until age 2. The thing is, it could be lots of other things, too. You could request a test for mitochondrial disorder. the child I knew had a muscle biopsy done to confirm.
Thanks! I am taking him to his pedi in November for a growth check and to discuss the possibility of a metabolic disorder. Just wanted to get others thoughts on it :)

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBeth View Post

Thanks! I am taking him to his pedi in November for a growth check and to discuss the possibility of a metabolic disorder. Just wanted to get others thoughts on it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.