How do you protect/label your kiddo when they can't say their own name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 3yo son has a severe articulation disorder where he can't pronounce... much. He talks 24/7 but only uses back consonants.

His name is all front consonants... let's call him William.

With a back-consonant-speaking kiddo, he cannot say his name.

A-Ay-an.

I mean, it's not even English. It's... not a word. What's your name? A-ayan.

It could be Aaron, William, Brian, Jaron, who knows. No one would ever understand what he'd said.

This has recently become a concern because he's going to 3 different speech classes a week. He is in a world of strangers. And one class, I've considered a bus taking him to/from because it's Free and through the school district.

Considered.

It would make MY life easier that I didn't have to take an afternoon off work for a 1/2hr class that a bus could transport him to/from.

But this doesn't just mean strangers, this means... a Bus. Off in to the abyss of... who knows what. And potentially with others on the bus.

And a kiddo that not only has no fear, cause he's 3! And also can't tell you anything, especially his name.

They say not to label the clothing with names b/c of pedophiles.

But... what if he got lost?

----speech classes, aside... what if he got lost at the park for 1/2 of a second and was found by a wonderful police officer who would protect him, he still wouldn't be able to say his name.

I've considered a necklace that has nothing but my phone number on it. Nothing personal, but something what if... call this number.

Is this a completely crazy thought?! :)

I'd love some ideas, because I'm sure this has come up...

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#2 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was pretty much non-verbal at that age too.  He rode the bus to his special education preschool from daycare and back.  I trusted the people who were responsible for him which made that decision easier.

You can get a medical alert bracelet that has a number and a phone number.  A first responder can call that number and get his information.  You can also get these iron-ons that have a QR code so that if he's lost they basically scan the code and get his info but that isn't restricted and anyone can get the info so I'd think a medical alert bracelet or necklace is the best bet.

They also make GPS for kids that you put on their ankles.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post

You can get a medical alert bracelet that has a number and a phone number.  A first responder can call that number and get his information.  You can also get these iron-ons that have a QR code so that if he's lost they basically scan the code and get his info but that isn't restricted and anyone can get the info so I'd think a medical alert bracelet or necklace is the best bet.

I would go with a Medical Alert bracelt. Include first name and phone number for you.

Also-- if he is going to class, maybe a communication notebook for the teachers to communicate with you.

A GPS shot attachment would be handy as well- you could 'watch' him go to/from school on the bus via computer.

How about a wrist talker like these:

https://enablingdevices.com/catalog/assistive_technology_devices_used_in_education/wrist-clip-communicators

I worked with a little guy that could talk but have severe articulation concerns, unless you knew him well his speech was very hard if not impossible to understand. He spoke to the staff he knew well-- but for 'new' people he had a wrist talker that stated  1. Hi my name is______    2. Help! Call my mom at _______  3. I need to use the bathroom   4. I am hungry or thirsty 5. Thank you

He could nod, shake his head, and other gestures---but those were things that were essential to share with others.

#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We have a Medic Alert bracelet and a tag for DS1's shoe. He is 3, minimally verbal and has been known to wander. His bracelet reads that he is ASD and may not be able to speak. There is a number for Medic Alert on it. Medic Alert then has ALL of DS1's info in their database. every contact number possible for us, home address, emergency contacts, all of his docs, his weight, height, eye and hair color, and then all of his medical info that someone else might ned to know. I HIGHLY recommend it for the nominal fee that they charge. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you thank you! Sounds like the Medic Alert bracelet is the way to go. I really appreciate your advice -- so glad to know I'm not just being crazy over-protective :)

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used to work with a completely non-verbal kid with ASD.  He had a medic alert bracelet with his parents' contact info. 

He wasn't a wandered, but I was a worrier, so whenever I had to take him out of the building, I would stick an index card in his backpack or jacket pocket stating that he was non-verbal, and attended such and such school, and put the school phone numbers as an additional layer of contact.  Just in case.

Never needed it, but it helped my peace of mind to know that all the necessary information was there if he did manage to wander off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page