How do your NT children deal with your SN child's melt downs? or other needs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 12yr old son has PPD NOS, ADHD, SLD, SPD, Speech Language issues, adjustment disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Anyway my other children pretty much just stay away from him when he has a melt down. (My 15yr old is probably the least understanding.) Except for my 17month old. It's really interesting. No one else can calm him down but she can! When she sees big brother having a hard time she is never scared. She goes to him and hugs him, puts her head on him, gives him kisses. She is the only one he is receptive to during a melt down. She can actually get him calmed down. I am really impressed by the relationship.

I was just was wondering what other wonderful stories or not so wonderful stories you might have about the brothers and sisters of your special needs child. Or even a pet, are there any stories about pets that really tune in and help your child?

Emaye likes this.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DD suffered from an anoxic brain unjury at 4 months of age.  now at 3 yrs, we have dx of Hypoxics Ischemic Encephalopathy, Spastic Quadraparesis, CP, CVI, Epilepsy, Dysphagia...  DS is 6, and is usually very sweet and loving, occasionally just ignores her.  She has limited movement, so he does not have to interact with her, but he does push he around in her stander and sing Rollin Rollin Rollin (think Rawhide).  I am very thankful he loves his sissy.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#3 of 3 Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest (age 11) has Autism, epilepsy, development delays, and Cerebral Palsy.  She can get very aggressive and have big melt downs from time to time. Her sister (my 6yo) is very sweet with her, but has had to learn to move away from her when she has a melt down.  I don't think in our case that the younger is angry or not understanding - it is just a matter of safety and giving my oldest a chance to calm down.  She does better and calms down faster if people just leave her alone during a melt down.  I will say that it has hurt my 6yo's feelings at times if she gets hit.  I don't blame her, and we talk about it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page