Dyslexic, ADHD, PDD NOS 12yr old boy has no friends - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My son's public education has been a tragedy. He only reads on a first grade level and he is 12yrs old. The school system is refusing to provide the expert recommended services for remediation. His self esteem is nonexistent. The years of frustration, as the same inappropriate methods were used, have caused DS to both internalize and externalize his grief. I have heard, "why am I so stupid", "why is everyone at school better than me at everything", "why do I have to have this brain". He has been alienated and isolated by both peers and faculty to the point that he is now hospital home bound due to his severe and debilitating school anxiety. If you were to ask the school, they would just say he is a behavior problem and try to blame him but the records show in kindergarten he was described as bright young man that liked to participate in school as the years wore on and his frustration grew so did the behavior reports. My son told me "I use to cry in school when I couldn't read something and the other kids would make fun of me, now that I am older I just get angry instead".

We are trying to secure services for Josh at this time. I recently created this Facebook page for Josh and my family so that I could show him that there are people out there in the world that care and that he is not alone. Please take a minute to visit and like the page. I want to be able to show him a lot of likes!

Please "LIKE" my son's support page on Facebook, Teach Josh to Read

Thanks!!!!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do believe that this is totally illegal! The school has to provide services to kids whose diagnoses are impeding on their education. Have you read anything on Wright's Law? Here is the link: wrightslaw.org It sounds like your son definetly needs an IEP asap. I hope that everything starts to work out for your son. My two boys are the same way, but they both have muscle issues with their eyes.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, it is totally illegal. My son has an IEP but I found out that it wasn't being implemented when I requested an IEE FBA. I have an attorney and we are filing due process. Among other things, I have requested vision therapy every year since K so I am familiar with the eye issues your children have. The district denied the therapy until last summer (so basically they denied it for 6 years) when I first hired the attorney. They gave it to us as part of ESY but then wanted to quit providing once the school year started.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I honestly hate how most school systems will do nothing until they are threatened by the law. I know most are strapped for funds, but it does no good to keep passing the kids to the next grade and then finally the next school so it is not their problem anymore. I do hope that everything starts to work out for you and your son. I also liked his page to help support him:)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamomof3 View Post

I honestly hate how most school systems will do nothing until they are threatened by the law. I know most are strapped for funds, but it does no good to keep passing the kids to the next grade and then finally the next school so it is not their problem anymore. I do hope that everything starts to work out for you and your son. I also liked his page to help support him:)

Thanks for the like! Our school district is strapped for cash but it is all due to corrupt individuals in power.

Just two years ago: Former DeKalb County School Superintendent Crawford Lewis has been indicted on racketeering charges as well as theft by a government employee and bribery.

and now this

SACS to investigate DeKalb County Schools

I had been begging for services since prek. He repeated K and still didn't get an IEP until second semester of second grade. His PPD NOS wasn't even identified until this past summer. It's been a nightmare. I was on food stamps and medicaid (they wouldn't pay for an evaluation) until a couple of years ago when I graduated from college and got a job. It infuriates me that I was only able to get them to start paying attention once I made enough money to hire an attorney. Once my attorney oks it I am going to post the due process paperwork to facebook so that other people can see what has happened. I don't want it to happen to anyone else!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

http://journeytoliteracy.tumblr.com/

I started blogging Josh's story today in case anyone is interested.

User Tag List