Speech Language Pathologist and Atypical Language Development - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, my 2.5 year old has a speech language pathologist appt in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I might expect at the appt?  

To fill in a bit, we had DS evaluated by early intervention at 2 but they said he didn't qualify at that time for services (showed great preschool readiness skills; great receptive language; etc) but to call if he didn't have more words in 6 months.  Now, we are NOT concerned at all about cognition or receptive language (in many ways he seems quite advanced in these areas)  Well, he has more "words" (3 or 4 in six months) but most of his language is sound effects.  

siren noise=red, fire engine, ambulance, police car, fire hydrant

panting noise=dog

um=hungry, food, delicious

yellow=all construction equipment, school buses

roaring noise=bears, dinosaurs, tigers, lions

v=vitamin

guttural singing of twinkle, twinkle little star=star

similar singing of alphabet song (I know, same tune)=all letters

ay-ay=his name 

mm hmmm= yes

e-i-o=farms, farm animals, large red buildings

the words that folk can understand (pronunciation may be peculiar but they are understandable):

right there

look (which sounds like the word he uses for walk and work)

book

blue

yellow

mama

mommy

cookie

pizza

no

yes (if we insist, he'll say yes)

ball

more ("mo")

hi

bye

night-night

words that only we can understand

ahoh=apple

hakalt=chocolate

He does combine these words and sounds into sentences and phrases eg: "yellow ah-ah (panting noise) right there" or "(siren noise) ball".  He actually communicates well with us, but at this point he seems to be almost a year behind in expressive language (said "mine" for the first time a couple of weeks ago, hasn't said it again)...and he tends to replace words he has used in the past with sound effects as often as possible.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

ETA: he can also say "zebra" understandably and just started saying "choo-choo" for trains

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The SLP will probably do several things:

-ask you to complete some questionnaires that target his receptive and expressive language skills, understood vs spoken vocabulary, and his typical use speech and other communication modes (gestures/pointing) 

-receptive language testing, asking your son to point to named pictures of objects/actions, follow 1-2 step directions in play (even if his receptive language is like that of other kids his age/advanced, it's helpful for the SLP to have some idea of his overall skill level)

-expressive language tests observe his production of words and word combinations in using familiar items, routines 

-articulation test/sound inventory

-observe him playing with toys to look at interaction skills (eye contact, pointing, following gestures of others)

-ask you about and observe his feeding skills looking for any signs of abnormal oral motor development (excessive drooling, weakness or incoordination of muscles) 

You've already helped the SLP a whole bunch by thinking about his words/sounds and writing it down!

User Tag List