Suggestions for SPD and noise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is in kindergarten and very sensitive to sound in PE and Music class. I was brainstorming with the teacher about how to deal with it. She suggested earplugs but I am hesitant because my son poked a hole in his eardrum last year and we had to use earplugs to bathe him. He hated them and couldn't wait to get them out of his ear. I was thinking about headphones but the school was worried that headphones would make him stand out too much and he might get teased. I was wondering how others have helped their children with this issue.

Thanks!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Hi. My oldest son has SPD and is particularly sensitive to noise. It is a bit trickyto find a balance. I can totally get why your son would hate the feeling of ear plugs, mine does too, but he hates noise more, ykwim? So if the noise is too much for him, he would choose the ear plugs over the noise. In movir theatres he wears headphones because he prefers them

We have also tried to increase his tolerance a bit gradually so he is better able to cope without devices. I think you could talk to him and see what he prefers, ear plugs or noise.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Does he have an IEP?  I know kids with SPD who sit out music class and do an alternate PE with an IEP.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

I was thinking about headphones but the school was worried that headphones would make him stand out too much and he might get teased.

My DD wears headphone part of the time she is at school and it works out fine for her. She also hates ear buds, and she is also extremely sensitive to sounds.

I agree about accommodations on his IEP . When my DD was in public school, she did PE as an independent study (I documented a set about of activity for her each week to keep the state happy) and she spent that time slot in the special education room, which was a much happier place for her. PE is required by state law, so she had to have it, but the school was fine with her riding her bike or going for a swim or whatever rather than going to regular PE, which was a nightmare for her.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page