Books on children with ADHD (or similar diagnoses) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I'm looking for some book recommendations. I have a crazy, loving, wiggly, caring, bouncy, giving, impulsive, sweet, sensitive, kind, over-reactive, 4yo son, whose behavior challenges me daily. I typically describe him as "Very;" everything he does he does all the way and then some.  He cannot control his impulses, he cannot sit still (see below for a hilarious anecdote highlighting this specific "symptom"), he often (though not always) has a hard time maintaining attention even on things that hold his interest, and his behavior is definitely more than "he's all boy."

I am not currently convinced that I should pursue an evaluation or diagnosis of any sort at this point in time, and I don't need convincing or lectures about why I should (or shouldn't) have him evaluated (or not) or medicated (or not). I am aware of the benefits of a professional evaluation, and am making myself aware of the benefits and risks possibly associated with medication, therapy, etc. - I know that this is irrational, but I have an underlying mistrust of the medical community (especially the specific system we use). Should I choose to pursue an evaluation, I don't want to go into it blind. And should I not, I hope to find the information and recommendations to help me help him reach his potential. <3

There are so many books on the topic of ADHD - I really would just like some recommendations for a good starting point, literature-wise. And not just ADHD - I realize that this could be something else entirely - where can I find the info I need to form a working-hypothesis on what - if anything - is going on. (For those of you familiar with natural birth, I'm looking for books that are more like "The Thinking Woman's Guide" and would like to avoid books similar to "What to Expect").  I want books that present a complete, unbiased picture. I am looking for help with my day-to-day life with my son. Parenting/discipline, recommendations for dealing with active, impulsive children, etc. 

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

#2 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 PM

The ADD & ADHD Answer Book: Professional Answers to the Top 275 Questions Parents Ask by Susan Ashley, Ph.D.will give you a comprehensive book packed with information on diagnosis, how to tell if your child really has ADD or ADHD, how to tell if it there might be another or different diagnosis, how to get evaluated, treatment, how to manage the symptoms in school, and much more.  It is a complete, unbiased owner's manual for parents of child with ADD or ADHD.  

#3 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just downloaded that one to my Kindle.

I also just realized that I forgot the hilarious anecdote about what a difficult time my son has holding still.  After a week of trying bedtimes, I decided to try something new - a relaxing bedtime yoga routine for the kids.  He easily folded into the many poses we did, bending and folding and twisting. To close the session, I got the four of them into corpse pose and asked them to hold still for 30 seconds.  About 5 seconds (throughout which he wiggled) he complained "Mama, this one is HARD. I can't do this one!!!"   LOL I never would have imagined that anyone could have a hard time doing corpse pose............. <3  I love my wiggly boy!

#4 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I can't think of any books right now, but I strongly recommend the magazine ADDitude. The articles are terrific and they look at the condition from all different angles.
#5 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I will definitely look into that! <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page