Toddler w/ one foot much bigger than other, multiple special needs - mean anything? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed that my 2.5-year-old son's right foot is much longer than the left -- at least half an inch, which is significant on a little foot. Does this mean anything? I ask because he has other physical cues that, had I known what I was seeing, would have indicated some of his diagnoses. For example, one eye opens wider than the other and his pinkies curl, both of which we now know go along with his Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

He has cerebral palsy (mild enough that he can walk, though wobbly). I wonder if his different feet sizes might contribute to his balance problems, as well.

More detail in case it might be related: He has ADHD and Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS is on the autism spectrum). We adopted him, so we don't know a lot of genetic history. Maternal side has history of polycystic kidney disease, high blood pressure and heart disease. He had genetics testing from a major university to rule out Fragile-X and other genetic symdromes.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You might have a good hunch there, the body is not being used evenly and then other parts of the body over compensate. Consider seeing a pediatric chiropractor. They could check for leg lenghth discrepancy, hip alignment, spinal curvature, etc, and do adjustments as necessary. If one leg is shorter than the other, having a lift or other orthotic on that side would help hip alignment, which would help spinal alignment, etc. It seems logical, that if you work with the childs body while it is actively growing, then there is better chance for it to ajusts and compensate. Physical therapy might be something else, to strengthen the weaker parts of the body? I read a book about a super preemie who had brain damage that affected motor functions like cerebal palsy, and she had lots of physical therapy and large and small motor help and interventions. One they did was they put her good hand in a cast, and did intensive therapy with the weak hand. And she greatly improved in her abilities. I was trying to give an example, I hope you understand my idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page