pressing on palate and teeth for auditory sensitivity - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished "The Boy Who Loved Windows" and toward the end she mentioned a technique of pressing briefly on the palate & the lower teeth twice, 5-6 times a day for a week. She noted her son totally transformed within a day or two of doing this! I don't know what it's called and I don't know if there is any science behind it but I'm very tempted to try it. It seems pretty harmless and simple if it doesn't work, only issue is I can't even get DS to let me brush his teeth so putting a finger in his mouth seems scary!! (He's likely to bite.) Anyway, has anyone ever heard of or tried this technique?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

No, I have never heard of this. I was intrigued as I have a friend with an ASD child who experiences audio sensitivity, but google yielded nothing. I hope another poster replies.
#3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Both DH and DD have auditory hypersensitivity, and I have never heard of this as a coping technique or treatment before. How exactly does this work? I'm trying to figure out what the connection is between pressing on the palate and lower teeth, and the affect it would have on the ears..... I would be interested in hearing more!

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I guess there is a nerve that runs through the palate to the ears?? Something like that, I'm probably not using the right terms. I just might try it, if I can figure out how to not get bitten, because it seems at least worth a shot...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM

I just did a quick search, does the facial nerve sound right to you?

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject/202

I'm not sure if dd would let me put my finger in her mouth to test this theory out. Did it mention in the book if the boy had auditory hypersensitivity, and if so how severely he was affected by it?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm facial nerve might have something to do with it, my brain isn't totally working this week so the article isn't making all that much sense to me lol. It wasn't described in the book much. He did have severe auditory sensitivity... this treatment seemed to lessen the sensitivity and they also saw other changes in him immediately (more cooperative, more organized with task execution like getting himself dressed, waking up happier, etc.)

I guess I am trying it. I got DS to let me do it twice today, I haven't gotten bitten yet, but it might take a few days to work up to 5-6x/day and I won't be surprised if he doesn't tolerate it long enough to see an effect! But I will update if I notice any changes in him...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page