sensory issues and excema - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS is currently being assessed for ASD, he certainly seems to have sensory issues. He also has excema, which causes two problems.

Firstly he picks at any scabs when he's feeling anxious, this seems to be more deliberate the the generalised scratching as it only seems to be a couple of areas he pick. However those places are constantly sore and it's very difficult to get them to heal. We've got lots of fidget toys and try to offer other options but especially at school there is a lot of picking going on.

The other issue is that he hates having any sort of cream applied. The docs recommended a moisturiser twice a day and a steroid cream if it gets bad.I can just about get a couple of dots of steroid cream on the bad patches at bedtime but I haven't managed to get the moisturiser on him for ages. Tried several playful approaches, making snowflakes, writing letters in lotion and so on but he hates the feel of it

He doesn't respond well to sticker charts, tore up the last one and refused to brush his teeth for a week in case he got a sticker lol.gif

We've tried bath oils and shower gels too but as he hates baths and showers with a passion they don't help much.

With changes to diet and so on we have improved things but he still has flair ups and it's getting harder to deal with them.

#2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How old is he? 

#3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How old is he?

He was six last week.

#4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It looks like you have tried to address underlying food triggers for eczema flare ups.  You may also want to research ways you can nutritionally support him to help prevent flare ups as well, things such as fish oil and evening primrose oil.  Often eczema can be the result of a dairy intolerance or allergy as well so it's worth investigating.

You may also want to explore the triggers for his anxiety at school and if there are adequate supports in place for him.  Do you trust that his issues are being managed well by his teacher?

As for modifying his behavior and sticker charts not working for him, I would ask him what would motivate him to change.  Does he have activities he prefers above all else?  Does he have favorite interests that excite him?  Use these as motivators to induce the behavior you are looking for.  A day of no picking at scabs = 5 points, earning more then 20 points a week equals a movie or a toy or whatever favorite things that would motivate him.  Or if he needs immediate reward a day of no picking at scabs equals 15 minutes of video game time or watching your favorite show or whatever it is.  Tell him that when the worst scabs heal he will earn something extra special and decide together what that will be.  Most of all, get him excited and interested in making the change even if it is for the outside rewards.  Tell him you are on his side, and know it is hard to stop, but, you want to help him do it with these incentives.

The key is to figure out what motivates him and use it to help him change his behavior. 

#5 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I haven't looked into supplements, reducing the flair ups is a lot better than trying to treat them.

I've spoken to him tonight about maybe getting some allergy tests done, so far we've just been on the look out for patterns. Dogs and cats I'm sure he's allergic to as he reacts within a few minutes of being in a pet owning house. I suspect eggs are a problem, he doesn't eat them but sometimes gets a bit of egg in baked goods and things.

On the whole I think his teachers have a pretty good idea of how to keep him calm, and they are usually happy to take on any suggestions I've put forward. They offer fidget toys etc if they see him scratching but of course they don;t always see. This years teacher is more aware than last years though, who felt having a dog visit the classroom was fine for him. they had THREE visits, even after explaining the issue was not DS petting the dog (which there was no way he would do anyway) but the dog hair remaining in the carpet.

He's having a very rough week this week, DH is away and his teacher was off ill so he's had a supply teacher.He simply can't handle that level of change in routine but sometimes that's how life goes.

I'm trying hard to make this part of the routine, so at least he knows to expect it. I think I've slacked off as it's been so difficult. We're going for an extra bedtime story if he puts on cream with no fuss. Hey ho, it's worked for 2 evenings, we'll see how long it lasts.

#6 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yrs son has possibly ASD, MS1, and/or ADHD (all currently pending in lab). But, for certain, he's had eczema since 8 months. We are using twice a day (at least) Vanicream, Vaniply, with an exchange of OTC cortisone, Fluticosone (pres.), and protopic (face only). Depends on severity, I blend the topicals. It must be put on, plus daily bathing/showering with mild baby bath gel to exfoliate. It is HARD, but, the routine will eventually stick. And, great that you're able to negotiate a deal with him! If they physically feel bad, it will negate any positive learning experience. All the best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page