Anyone know what this might be? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

I went to the supermarket and spent a small fortune on gluten free products. So my ds4 has been gluten free a few days now, and my jaw is dropping in amazement. He has been calmer, no more tantrums!, instead of saying, 'im hungry mama' constantly, and heading for anything with sugar in it (which in our house is chocolate), he actually said (after eating gluten free pancakes i made), 'im full'. And has been calm and happy. He couldnt care less about OJ anymore. 

My other son could probably benefit too...we.ll see. Havent made any smoothies yet, still cant decide which blender to get.

I ordered the book recommended upthread too. Thankyou!

Yea!! This is great news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM

Grapefruit for breakfast? Why give him sugar to start the day? Even I would have a bad day if I just had a grapefruit for breakfast.

Why don't you make a big pot of coconut chicken curry. Children need lots of saturated fat and cholesterol for their brain, their body, and their mood. You can just warm up a bowl of curry for him in the morning Don't give rice, only curry.

Buy a family sized pack of chicken thighs, bake them in the oven with salt and pepper, plenty of garlic powder, cinnamon, or any asian spices you have on hand. You want one or two chicken thighs for each child, for each breakfast for a whole week.

Dice 2 onions, 1 russet potato, 4 carrots. Fry them in a stick of butter (remember this is for the whole week)

Cover with 3 cans of whole coconut milk (not lite!) and simmer for 40 minutes.

Turn off the stove.

Let the baked thighs cool down, then shred. Add to the curry along with rinsed frozen peas. Refrigerate and warm up individual servings in a saucepan each morning.

Even something like two or three hard boiled eggs with a pinch of salt would be better for him than a grapefruit. Even if I were trying to fit into my wedding dress I wouldn't have just a grape fruit for breakfast.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 AM

So how are things going now? Still gluten free and great? I hope so. Let us know, please.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM

I would get him evaluated for autism and ADHD

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Thanks for asking Pek64.  This is a whole new learning curve for me.

Thanks Eloise for the coconut chicken recipe.  We dont just have grapefruit for breakfast, just a tiny bit as a fruit. It goes with proteins, healthy fats and starches. Im thoughtful about how we eat. Now i just omit anything with gluten. (i admit i love asian style breakfasts, i have in mind breakfasts i had in Indonesia which were rice vegetable and meat based soups... bought at a street stand, however, i also  like a healthy western breakfast too...ill see what i can do...)

The gluten free diet is doing wonders for my 4yo ds. Last night we ate challah (bread). Bad news this morning as far as behavior is concerned. Iwill make sure to have gluten free challah next time.

Went to see a naturapath yesterday, but she turned out to be a homoepath.....very interesting.(shows you how clueless i am, but i am sure my midwife said she was a naturapath) She is going to devise some remedies  for some of the behaviors. Im pretty wowed by the homeopath route. She seemed to think vaccines were behind some of the behaviors....

Evaluated for autism? I dont think its autism.  Why do you suggest autism? He might get a diagnosis for adhd (but they hand them out like candy in my experience) I wouldnt care, it if were actually accurate and most importantly useful. 

What symptoms of autism do you see?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wonderful you found a homeopath and YES vaccines do cause some of the behaviors you describe.  My son had the CEASE clearing, with isopathic remedies made from the vaccines themselves, and he improved by LEAPS and bounds.  It was very dramatic and everyone noticed the improvements, from his teachers to his OT.  He used to have a full time aid and required a half day learning center environment and he is now fully integrated and most of all HAPPY.  He was diagnosed with HFA (PDD-NOS) two years ago, and he is so altered he will likely no longer fit the diagnosis upon re-evaluation. 

Good luck to you and your son.  I always think it is wonderful when people find their way to alternative treatments! 

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Livinglife, thanks for sharing that. Wow is all i can say. 

I have never heard that vaccines could have that kind of effect. I know about the autism risk with the mmr, but not that other vaccines could lead to the kind of behaviors i described in this thread.(ds did not receive his mmr at 12mths)  Im hesitating getting my 11mth old vaxed now. Her appointment is on Monday, and i was still unsure which vaxes if any she should get right now (she missed most of the first year vaxes   for other reasons) In addition, 4yo ds (the subject of this thread) is due to get his mmr finally, as a requirement to enter school. The homeopath  said to hold off on the vaccines for both of them until she could devise a remedy  to help the immune system to deal with the vaccines effectively.

I suppose ill be cancelling the doctors appointment yet again.

I didnt know about any of this, and im really sad about it.

Interestingly, the fact that 4yo ds barely had a fever or reaction to any of the first year vaccines, means that there is something still in his system not dealt with adequately by the immune system, and thus his behaviors. Dont ask me to explain it more clearly, i am just parroting what the homeopath said.

I wonder if my older son  7yo ds, who has auditory processing issues, was also adversely effected by vaccines in this way. he was another tough cookie who barely broke a fever when he was vaxed. Im so sad about him at the moment, because his auditory processing is starting to really interfere with his well being. I had his hearing tested just last week, hoping he had hearing problems and the hearing aid would fix it. No, his hearing is  perfect, its his brain that doesnt hear properly. (another topic i know) I cant wait to take him to the homeopath next month.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM

From what I understand contactmaya, it is a multifactoral issue.  A poorly functioning gi tract (where 70 percent of the immune system resides) will be unable to mount an immune respose to a vaccine or be kept in a state of hyperalert causing allergies.  A poorly functioning gi tract will also be unable to clear the toxins from vaccines as waste leaving them to be stored in the tissue systems of the body.  (used to be mercury, new adjuvent is aluminum, another difficult heavy metal to clear and crosses the blood brain barrier easily)

Christina McBride who created the GAPS diet talks about testing an infants gi tract before vaccinating them to determine if they are predisposed to poor vaccine reactions.  If the gi tract has poor intestinal flora it can be repopulated to protect the child's growing immune system and brain.  But, to do this pediatricians would have to admit that some children DO have harmful effects from vaccinations.

I'm probably not explaining this as well as I should.  Time is short this morning but there is a great deal of information about this on very reputable sites. 

The best on your journey in helping you child.  Everyone has a right to good health.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou. I would have thought though, that my children would have good intestinal flora due to the fact that they were breastfed exclusively....  so thats something to consider...

Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Not necessarily.  They get the same flora that you have.  Do you have good intestinal flora?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

If i had to make a ballpark guess i would say i do.  I dont have  any food sensitivities that i know of, dont get sick much, i dont know. Im actually happy with my health. I have no reason to expect that i dont but have never had it tested. We eat alot of yoghurt here too.

Sounds like cleansing of metal  toxicity would be another thing to consider. Ive looked into diatomaceous earth (still undecided about that), and heard about  using chlorophyll ...(next on my to do list)

Ds2's behavior was aweful this morning-kept stealing baby's toy, and almost destroying it, was very oppositional ( a new word for me). I made  *almost* gluten free pancakes yesterday (oven not working...) but put in a bit of wheat flour that needed using as a sort of experiment...i paid for it...well, i only hope that gluten is one of the main culprits.

Btw,  do you know of connections between gluten/other food sensitivities and the vaccine damage issue?  Would bad intestinal flora predispose one to food sensitivites and therefore co exist with vaccine damage? Or would one or the other be causative? Also, has the metal toxicity done irrreversible damage or woud cleansing solve the issue? Sorry to as so many questions...i hope you dont mind.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM

I have lots of thoughts about this and there are lots of ways to look at your questions.  I will tell you what i've read and what our experience has been so far (my son is two years into the diet with heavy metal detox and homeopathic vaccine clearing).

I will gather my thoughts while I put my 5 year old to bed and write more later tonight.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thats just great...arsenic in rice?

Just when we were going strong with this gluten free thing, i find out  there is arsenic in rice, and it is recommended to have  no more than one serving per week of any rice product. Thats not possible if you are gluten free...

what do some of you other mamas of gluten free kids do?

not to mention the amount of rice i ate while pregnant....

Livinglife, i look forward to your response when you get the time.   

Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM

I think the arsenic in rice is an issue here in the US where certain pesticides had been used (can not remember which pesticides), but may not be an issue for rice from outside of US (CA).  Plus, if you eat white rice, it has less than brown, and if you wash your rice, it removes a portion (maybe 30%)... I still like Lundberg's, which is what is stocked at our coop better than the rice from the Asian grocer.  I think you can call Lundberg's with questions about safety. Rice is certainly not the only food with this issue, though.  

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM

This is not an issue for rice grown in Thailand and India, two of the major producers of rice.  Most packaged rice will tell you the country of origin.

Buy ready made gluten free bread products that do not have rice as a major flour.  We happen to love the brand Canyon bakehouse.  It's pricey but it is made with teff, sorghum, tapioca, millet, quinoa, amaranth, corn, and the brown rice flour used is cultured.  And, it is the best tasting brand we've found.

Of course, the best way around this is to bake your own bread and your own pastries!  If only I were so talented I'd save a lot of money.... :(

Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... so i returned some rice products to the store (cant eat this because of the arsenic...) and  bought rice  from India, and have been exploring alternative grains/and pseudo grains. We usually have cereal/oatmeal for breakfast. I replaced that with  creamed rice, now ive replaced that with rotating porridges using millet (gluten free grain), buckwheat, amaranth (very interesting pseudo grain that one,  i admit, its the first time i have ever eaten it), then oats only every few days (ds seemed to react to it, so im not sure about it), and quinoa.

Ok, now for the next steep learning curve-grains are bad because of phytates, which bind to essential minerals like zinc, iron  magnesium and phospherous. So now, even though i thought i was feeding my kids, gluten free or not, they werent getting their minerals because they came in grains.

Turns out though, if you  soak the grains overnight, or for as long as 24hours, you release alot of the phytates. Better still, soak them with another grain that contains phytases (i think i got that), which neutralizes the phytates. Apparently wheat is high in  phytases.  Buckwheat also.  (some say to add something fermented)

So now not only have i eliminated gluten, drastically cut down on oats, cant eat rice anymore either (except if produced in India and Thialand,  but rice based products like crackers, and gluten free pasta do not reveal the origin of their rice base), but now i am soaking grains overnight, and trying  to reduce the phytates in them, as well as expermenting with porridges and hoping like hell the kids eat it. (so far so good, also adding blueberries neutralizes phytates, and kids love them...)

I really hope my kids behavior gets better! This is hard work, and its not over yet!

In the meantime, things are better for him, but he still seems very sensitive to clothing and has a very hard time leaving the house.

My 7yo ds, is quite short for his age, and i am wondering if he lacks zinc (thus the sudden worry about minerals lacking in kids diet)

Sorry for the novel, but someone else might learn something from this.

Also, im still interested in comments from anyone btdt or differences of opinion.

I mean, how do people get their minerals if their grains, which most people eat worldwide, if they are rendered unabsorbable by phytates (an antinutrient....i didnt know about antinutrients before)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

ps livinglife, i hope you are able to find the time to answer these questions/ continue the discussion in the earlier vein...

Quote:

Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Btw,  do you know of connections between gluten/other food sensitivities and the vaccine damage issue?  Would bad intestinal flora predispose one to food sensitivites and therefore co exist with vaccine damage? Or would one or the other be causative? Also, has the metal toxicity done irrreversible damage or woud cleansing solve the issue? Sorry to as so many questions...i hope you dont mind.

Originally Posted by livinglife View Post

I have lots of thoughts about this and there are lots of ways to look at your questions.  I will tell you what i've read and what our experience has been so far (my son is two years into the diet with heavy metal detox and homeopathic vaccine clearing).

I will gather my thoughts while I put my 5 year old to bed and write more later tonight.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Sprouting and fermentation is how people get nutrients out of their grains....

Contactmaya, once you are more practiced at this, i'm sure you'll relax a little bit.  Some store bought rice crackers in moderation are o.k.

We are living in a very toxic world and I can only control so much and then i'll just plain go nuts....been in that NEED to control for health place...for sure!  But, the amazing thing is you are on a path to figuring out what makes a difference.  You will discover what works for your child/family and be healthier for it and able to pass on the knowledge to your child about what foods sustain him.

One tip....learning the basics of homeopathic home prescribing took the edge off my worrying.  If my child has eaten too much rice product give them arsenicum to help their bodies clean it out, if they show challenging behaviors, there are remedies that help them even out their mood.

I have worked with professional homeopaths for years to help our family and have developed a lot of strategies to help our bodies return to balance.  I also have a big reference library at home that I read and am comfortable turning to.

Flower remedies are also wonderful for moods and behavior and don't aggravate.

Sorry, your so right, I haven't take the time to respond back to your earlier questioning...flu's etc.... Basically, I think it's best you just start reading and interpreting what you read.

There are many people who write about the body and it's metabolic and healing pathways, heavy metal detox,  and do so much better then I do.  A good place to look for info is on websites where parents are trying to help relieve the physical and behavioral disregulation in their autistic children.

Not to put you off, but, there is A LOT of information out there.  To make it easier for yourself, find a person whose writing really resonates for you as true and just dig in.  On the web, look for Dr. Amy Yasko, Dr. Tinus Smits, Dr. Campbell-McBride (writes on gut connection).  Find Dr. Mercola's website.  He sells A LOT of products.  Feel free to ignore the selling.  But, he is a wealth of information about alternative medical interpretations of illness.

I think you will find what you need to know!  Take it one step at a time as you are, and trust that you will find information as you need it.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Is rice from India safer? I would be concerned after some the things that have come from China (lead in paint used on toys). I don't know if other countries regulate, whereas if I buy from a farmer in my own country, there's some regulation, and I can call the farm if I have questions.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Livinglife, thanks for the link. I'll read it in a bit.

I found info this afternoon that cooking and baking also neutralizes phytates, and releases phosphorus (I think). I don't have that link anymore. I'll try to find it again.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Lundberg rice is from California, isn't it? That link implied CA rice is OK.

Since arsenic occurs naturally, does the human body have natural removal systems in place for eliminating arsenic?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 AM

Maybe someone else can answer that question.  However, the issue isn't just the tiny amounts that occur naturally.  Rice is a food that absorbs high amount of toxins in the soil which makes this more of an issue for rice then other foods like fruits.  The soil is saturated with higher amounts then found naturally due to pesticides even those used many years ago, which is why rice in organic fields are also contaminated because they are often grown side to side with non-organic crops. 

Everyone finds their own comfort level, yes?  It's hard to figure out what's safe to eat!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I need to understand this issue better. I've relied on rice for years, so even though we've not eaten much the past 3 years, I have given it to my growing son for a good bit of his life. Always certified organic. Now you're telling me that organic rice is grown beside conventional. That would definately contaminate the organic fields!! How can it still be certified organic if the water and soil are being contaminated?!? Doesn't certified organic *mean* anything?!?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM

article from the atlantic....http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/so-theres-arsenic-in-our-rice-now-what/262972/

more info....http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/20/why-rice-contains-detectable-levels-of-arsenic.html

Listen, organic crops of all kind are grown in close proximity to inorganic crops, or grown on soil that had formerly been sprayed with pesticides 15 or 20 years ago and been converted to organic.  The argument for why organic is better is that atleast it only contains residual amounts not sprayed directly onto the food. 

Unfortunately, rice is a good absorber of arsenic in soil and water so whatever is there it is going to take in and go on your plate. 

I know you're not trying to be argumentative.  It's good to be armed with information for making choices.

I've also fed my son a TON of rice over the years before almond and coconut milk became a more every day inexpensive choice in a gluten/dairy free diet and before I could find breads made with other gluten free flours.

Pek, if you use homeopathy, and are concerned about clearing arsenic and any damage to the body....read up on the remedy arsenicum....maybe the mental and emotional symptoms match up as well (it happens to be one of the remedies we use at home for "perfectionism"), but you can use it like isopathy....for helping the body recognize the toxin and clear it. 

I know we won't stop eating rice and rice products.  We LOVE rice!!  But I will be buying my long grain rice grown in Thailand or India.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Thanks for responding and understanding. I thought I had researched well, and now I'm frustrated!

I have to do other things right now, but will read what you'v provided later. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I relate very much. Since making the decision to go gluten free,  rice was our main go to grain, and i went and bought in bulk, only to  find that i had to be more careful. Ive been going on one steep learning curve to another in a matter of weeks, and find myself actually eliminating most grains from our diet altogether (not intentionally, but  all that is left are the pseudo grains)  Im working pretty hard at this soaking and experimenting with foods i never ate before for my son, (and probably all of my kids. personally, im still eating wheat toast for  breakfast because i dont have a problem with it and its cheaper...) 

Im actualy considering the whole boil an animal for broth which i have an aversion to, but maybe thats what my son needs. Id rather be vegetarian....i feel like im on a bit of a roller coaster ride and trying to take it slowly... now i think ds is sensitive to oatmeal...maybe his body thinks its wheat i dont know, but we've always had it, and now i have to consider eliminating it somewhat too.....

Just bought some rice made in Thialand from trader joe's today...i noticed that most of their rice is from India and Thialand, however their rice pasta was tested as having higher than acceptable levels of arsenic...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

A bit of an update-

my 4yo is now a 5yo.

I eliminated gluten and the symptoms explained in the first post disappeared.  Later i noticed similar symptoms  after eating oatmeal, so i eliminated that.

In the last  month or so however, his symptoms seem to be returning, at least some of  them-oppositional behavior, hyperactivity,putting things in his mouth, and very mild excema for eg.

Any grains we ate were soaked overnight (but not sprouted...) We ran the gamut of different grains and pseudo grains over the last few months.

My 7yo  was taken off gluten too. His symptoms were auditory processing disorder and apparent lack of impulse control in the school setting.(there are some posts here about that, but only one person responded, and other threads were ignored :shrug) The gluten removal didnt seem to make a difference.

I recently took them both off cows milk, and replaced it with raw goats milk. Apparently the casein in this is more digestible. I dont  know if i should remove any kind of dairy altogether, but for now, am not doing so.

Last week, we started a full GAPS diet, which essentially means no starches at all.(no grains, no pseudo grains, no potatoes)  I have found it not to be as difficult as i anticipated because they dont seem to care about starches. Instead, they are eating lots of meats, lox,  fermented  raw goats milk dairy, fruits and vegetables. We are becoming more reliant on smoothies for nutrition, using raw eggs, so they are eating alot of eggs....

I am still breastfeeding my 15month old (need i say that, this is mothering.com after all), so i am myself not going on the GAPS diet, afraid that the die off (of the bad bacteria that causes some of these conditions) will  be bad for her.   I take a strong probiotic, and hope that passes into the milk.

I hope this radical diet change will be helpful for them.  

I often wonder why my 5yo is gluten intolerant. His reaction to gluten is so obvious and happens quickly. Why is he unable to tolerate gluten while his brother  and myself seem ok with it?

I havent seen any radical changes with homeopathic remedies so far. 

Thanks for reading! Any comments very welcome....

User Tag List