Saliva Management Solutions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope this is an okay place to post this. I am hoping that some people here might have dealt with this issue and have some good suggestions.

Basically, my 4-month-old (who is otherwise healthy) is EXTREMELY drooly, due to oral motor issues. According to the speech pathologist, the drool just runs right off his tongue and out of his mouth, instead of being swallowed. We are doing exercises with him, but it's making zero difference when it comes to the saliva. He regularly soaks through 2-4 bibs a day, plus soaking the necks/fronts of his onesies, some burp cloths, and usually some part of me and/or dh's clothing.

Does anyone have any creative solutions for this problem? Bib suggestions? Anything?

Mother to one baby. Wife to one husband. Trying to fight the good fight.

#2 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM

My son was like this too.  He drooled until he was about 4 - no speech issues or anything.  Just lots of drool. 

One thing you might try is dressing him in wool:  a light undershirt, then a wool sweater or shirt, and then a cotton or other absorbant bib on top.  Wool is water resistant, so the drool won't soak through his clothes and make his skin wet.  You'll still have to change the bib a lot, but at least he won't be wet all the time.

#3 of 6 Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. I'm sensitive to wool, so I'm afraid that might be a no-go, but maybe I should try again to see if it's still an issue.

#4 of 6 Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM

I've had a couple of students in the past who were on the drooly side.  They both used cotton bandanas.  One wore a bandana around her neck (otherwise she'd lose it) that got changed frequently.  The other kept one handy and wiped with it as needed.  Seemed to work fine both ways.

#5 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DS1 had reflux for 6 months, then was very drooly. We used slip-on bibs (the kind which have a collar like a t-shirt because they are so easy to slip on and off. no fiddling with straps or buttons or velcro) and changed them every two hours or so. I cannot imagine a solution that does not involve frequent changing. I'd play around with different fabrics - maybe thick fleece scarfs, fastened with velcro? And maybe a soup bib, lined with a rubber coating, underneath?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

I cannot imagine a solution that does not involve frequent changing.

Yeah, that was sort of what I figured, but I thought I'd ask! I may have to look in to the slip-on bibs you mentioned. My dh has pointed out that baby doesn't drool (usually) when sleeping. Not sure if this is due to being on his back and gravity pulling the saliva down his throat, or due to less saliva production during sleep? We did buy some more bibs yesterday, so hopefully having more will help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page