FYI on wandering and ASD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

I have a nephew with autism who is prone to wandering.  He has had several "escapes."  I saw this while searching for something else, and thought it might be useful to those with children on the ASD who are prone to wandering.   Happy New Year!

Maybe other people have resources they would like to share - wandering is a huge problem for many on the ASD.

K.

http://nationalautismassociation.org/docs/BigRedSafetyToolkit.pdf

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks! DS1 is ASD and a true wanderer. He doesn't bolt, but gets lost in his own world or paces and just wanders off. It gets especially bad in outdoor spaces which seems to be a trigger or at night. He wears a MedicAlert bracelet just because of this but some of the other suggestions on that site are amazing. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

You're welcome.

I have one nephew who wanders.  My sisters house is locked up, big time, because of this. He will literally leave the house for no apparent reason (well, he has one, we just do not know it)

My other nephew who is autistic does not wander - but he does run.  He will take off almost in a "chase me" type game.  He does not have a sense of danger when he does this - he once took off at a subway station….Overall, though, he is less scary than his older brother - at least you know when he has taken off.  

Both kids require a ratio of 1:1 in public.  

Transition times are the worst - and it can be quite bad when other adults are around, or acting as caregivers.  The reason it is bad when other adults are around is :

1.  People assume someone else is watching the child

2.  Caregivers do not understand that they really have to watch the child.  The subway incident was largely my fault.  bag.gif  No flames, anyone, I tell this story so people can understand that caregivers, even those who love the child and are reasonably knowledgable about autism, do not always "get it".  I was at the subway with a bunch of family members, including my autistic nephews.  I had been charged with holding the hand of "the runner".  I thought I could let it go for a second while I put my  ticket through the turnstyle,  thought my sister was being over-protective (sorry, sis, and how I have learned…….) and he bolted under the turnstyle.  My husband literally dodged under a turnstyle and caught him.  

2.  more people=more chaos.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for posting about the toolkit. I requested and received one last year and the kit is very valuable. I don't see it listed now, but our kit came with two door alarms which are lifesavers. We have to use key door locks and window locks in my home because my son will bolt if given the opportunity. I highly recommend this kit.

autismribbon.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The toolkit is a must with a "runner".  Also, it's not a bad idea to "deputize" anyone around you that might encounter a loose child--neighbors, local business owners nearby, your local police precinct or fire station, if the unthinkable happens.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page