Are there any accommodations for a dyslexic teenager trying to obtaining a driving learner's permit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Does anyone know if there are accommodations available for dyslexic children trying to get a driving learner's permit? My daughter has a friend who has failed three times because she struggles to read the test. We have read the manual to her at home so she knows the info, she just can't pass the written test. The part with road signs she does fine.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Depends on where you live - but I did find this... http://school.familyeducation.com/learning-disabilities/teen-driving/41908.html

Reading Disability and Driver's Test

LD and ADD/ADHD Expert Advice from Eileen S. Marzola, Ed.D.

Q: My 16-year-old wants to get his temporary driver's permit, but he has a reading disability. He has studied the driver's book and is ready to take the test, which consists of 20 questions and 20 signs. However, most things have to be read to him and then scribed. I know I'm setting him up for failure if he takes the test without these accommodations. What can I do to help him?

A: You should be able to request modifications in the exam administration for someone with a documented learning disability. I know that in New York, for example, a license applicant who has a learning disability may request to take the written test orally, in English, for a non-commercial license. A DMV representative will read the test to the license applicant. Some DMV offices require an appointment for an oral test, so you should definitely contact someone at the office directly to find out how to arrange accommodations for your son.

More on: Expert Advice

For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Read more on FamilyEducation: http://school.familyeducation.com/learning-disabilities/teen-driving/41908.html#ixzz2Gwld5Fg2

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

We are in GA. I finally found something online but it took a lot of digging! Thanks!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

yes there is they did it for me a lady from the dmv came in where the test was to ready the questions to me i did have to bring proof from a doctor that i was dyslexic but that was all i had to do

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)

In my state, if a new driver passes the written portion of the test at a state certified driving school, they don't have to retake it at the DMV. This is how all the quirky kids we know are getting their  permits. Even though it is the same test, its a much easier way to take it. You might check into this where you live. 

My DD doesn't have reading issues so I don't know how they handle that, but they've done a great job teaching her to drive, and we weren't sure if she would be able to drive.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I have sent the info for our county to the girl's dad. This is good for me to know too because my LD - dyslexic son is 12, turning 13 in July, his 15 yr old bday will be here before I know it!

User Tag List