Far From the Tree - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Has anyone else read this book? I just started it, and I am really impressed. No parenting advice at all, it is a survey of parenting experiences of families raising children very different than they expected. So far, I have read the chapters on autism, deafness, Down Syndrome, dwarfism, and schizophrenia. He speaks of each of these conditions as an identity, as much as a diagnosis or disability. Although I don't necessarily agree with every conclusion, it is insightful and broad, making some connections I have never heard articulated. Written by a non-parent who took 10 years to research, I am looking forward to finishing reading, and to discussing it if anyone here is interested.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I heard this author interviewed on NPR and wrote this title down on my "to read" list. I have a 19 month old and one on the way and an ever growing list of books I want to read. I was an avid reader prior to parenthood! Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll get time to read it but I will follow this thread to hear others' thoughts. Right now, I get in a parenting book here and there but that's about it. :( 

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. It definitely intrigued me and sounded like a worthwhile read.

#3 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I started it and could not put it down! I thought it was very insightful, too, revelatory even. I thought his take on vertical vs horizontal identities very interesting, and broadly applicable. I am not sure whether I agree with his super broad sweep, ranging from deafness over multiple developmental disabilities to musical genius and homosexuality over dwarfism to criminality (and I've been missing immigration in there, possible the most common disruption to vertical family identity existant)- though I understand his argument about what the disruption in family identities has in common, I am not sure how useful it really is in finding the connectedness to mankind that he feels these disruptions engender in family members. Also, in his take on criminality, he does not appear to be able to make up his mind whether he is talking about disadvantaged youths making poor choices or full-blown pathology, and he juxtaposes extreme low-functioning autistic children with fully functional grown aspies claiming an autistic identity. Stuff like that, which might have benefitted from a sharper focus.But in a way, that's his point: everything is comparable in that it makes up human experience, and nothing is comparable in that everyone is different and needs to steer his own path between pathology and identity.

All in all, if you have just given birth to your special needs youngest and have already grappled with dual exceptionalities with your oldest (giftedness and autistic traits) reading this book is like hot chocolate in front of a fireplace, having a super interesting conversation...

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I head the author on NPR as well and was intrigued. Now am I going to add this to my next to download list. Thank you! 

#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just put this on hold at my library - saw it at the bookstore but it was $37 retail greensad.gif - have to be patient, but I can't wait to read it! 

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Until then, there's an article here:

http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21568692-how-differences-isolate-individuals-can-unite-humanity-life-another-tune

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page