Psychiatric evaluation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone tells me what happens at a psych eval and what we can expect? My 7 yr old goes Friday and the receptionist wasn't really sure what the process is(she's new). My 7 yr old has recently been seeing a play therapist due I low self esteem. And then he's been really angry the last month or so. We discussed possible depression making him lash out or an underlying issue(bc of bipolar in our family). He doesn't have any past history aside from ADHD and medication for that. Not sure what else my husband needs to be prepared for bc I have to do clinicals for nursing school and can't be there.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#2 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

My ds did a neuropsych exam when he was 9.  He did a number of iq tests (ds said they were very boring mini games), answered questions posed by the psychologist, and we (dh, me, and teachers) filled out questionnaires. It took a couple of hours.  Because of this exam, we were able to identify some of ds's strengths and weakness academically, such as dyslexia and adhd.  Some of the questions/iq tests may different for your ds since you are looking at behavior instead of learning disability.  

Just a thought, some meds can cause behavioral changes and depression;  I have experienced with antibiotics and ds had more serious with an antiseizure med.  Maybe check, if depression is a side effect of the meds he is taking.   Also, kids with adhd  can become depressed due to stress and pressure related to behavior that they may not be able to effectively control.  

#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa17s View Post

My ds did a neuropsych exam when he was 9.  He did a number of iq tests (ds said they were very boring mini games), answered questions posed by the psychologist, and we (dh, me, and teachers) filled out questionnaires. It took a couple of hours.  Because of this exam, we were able to identify some of ds's strengths and weakness academically, such as dyslexia and adhd.  Some of the questions/iq tests may different for your ds since you are looking at behavior instead of learning disability.  

Just a thought, some meds can cause behavioral changes and depression;  I have experienced with antibiotics and ds had more serious with an antiseizure med.  Maybe check, if depression is a side effect of the meds he is taking.   Also, kids with adhd  can become depressed due to stress and pressure related to behavior that they may not be able to effectively control.  

We wondered about his med being a cause as well and spoke with his Dr about it the other day.  He's been on it for 2 yrs now and this anger really just started about 1 yr ago(very mild) and has just slowly built up and gotten worse.  He definitely has now self esteem with regards to the ADHD and is in play therapy for that as well.  It's just hard to see low self esteem vs depression and I am just not equipped to figure it out anymore and ride it out hoping it clears up. 

#4 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Update......So ds finally went to his eval today.  The psych feels that most of his ADHD is being managed with his Focalin but that the rest of the issues is coming from an anxiety aspect of ADHD.  She did not feel he was depressed or another major disorder and wants to treat the anxiety right now and see how that goes before we dig even deeper if necessary.  She put him on Strattera and night and to continue his Focalin XR during the day. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page