Falling off the growth chart. Celiac? Endocrinology? Next steps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 5.5 years old and is trending toward a drop off of the growth curve. His ped is recommending a recheck in six months, but of course, I'd like to get my thoughts in order and possibly take action before then. My instincts have been telling me, almost since his birth, that I haven't been giving him all of the help he needs to thrive. My questions are, do his symptoms sound like Celiac, something endocrine or something I have not thought of and where should I go from here? TIA!

His current/past symptoms include:
-short stature (about 10th percentile, declining percentile since birth, but hovered near 25% until last year).
-celiac body type? bigger tummy, littler bum and legs
-occasional irritability, resists new social situations and change. I looked into
SPD for a while but this didn't seem to fit for the most part.
-recovering picky eater. Had a varied diet and a decent appetite until about 2 years (weaned just before that), but appetite declined and number of accepted foods drastically dropped (mainly dairy and carbs, 1-3 items in protein, veg and fruit categories). Very focused on cows milk from 2-3.5 or so. Accepts a better variety now. I'm happy with his present food intake (accepts 6+ items from each food group, and a variety of textures). Still dealing with difficulty focusing and self-pacing at mealtimes (dinner in particular).
-had constipation/encopresis issues from 3.5 to 4.5 (stemming from time baby brother was born, treated succesfully (?) with stool softener, fiber in diet and regularly scheduled potty times).
-had green mucousy stools with occasional blood from 2 mos to introduction of solids at 6 months. Allergy tests and elimination diets did not yield any answers, ped suggested that he'd outgrow the problem. I've always felt unsettled about this.
-was a high needs baby

Other family notes:
-I also might have a celiac body type. Even at my most fit I have little pooch and a flat bottom with short legs
-I have a well-managed hypothyroid condition, began treatment for it about four years before DS was born
-I'm 5'5", DH is 5'7", so while we never predicted our children would be tall the change in trend toward unusually short is puzzling
-my mom is my height but my dad, brother and sisters are all taller than 6'; DH's family members are all shorter than average
-DH is extremely sensitive about his own height and wishes he would have been given growth hormone as a child
-DH seems to have some kind of gut issue. He's had issues with diarrhea since a gallbladder removal 7 years ago. GP is not worried but I wonder if he has a food allergy or gluten intolerance.
-our heritage is mixed European

(cross posted in health and healing, mods feel free to delete one of the threads if it is more appropriate in one forum than the other)
#2 of 2 Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there, 

I would definitely follow your instincts.

I'm relatively new to finding out about diets and sensitivities (my son has a mild ASD and going gluten free, dairy free and recently soy free has brought incredible positive changes to his behaviour, mood, and digestive patterns).

One thing that stood out for me in your posts is something that I noted in my son when I started reading about gluten free and diary free diets for kids with ASDs- you said your son is/was very focused on dairy and carbs. My son was too and some of the reading I did was about how some kids that start limiting their diet to these foods are kind of "addicted" to them and the negative effects they have on their bodies. Apparently, for some people the digestion of the proteins in carbs and dairy can release an opiate-like substance into their system that can be addictive and also can affect behaviour. 

When I cut out dairy and gluten from my son's diet the changes were really positive and apparent in just a few weeks. When we later reintroduced these things (because we started doubting whether it was the diet or just my son maturing that was causing the changes), he quickly became "addicted" again- constantly requesting only diary and carbs- and of course he backslid in a lot of the positive changes. We went back to a gluten free, dairy free diet and are not looking back!

Anyway, this is just something to consider. Trying out an elimination diet may really change things for the better, and it's easier than I thought it would.

Good luck. 

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page