books for how to deal with aspergers/sensory processing disorder in older child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Does anyone have any good books or websites on tips for dealing with your child with aspergers or sensory processing disorder?

We are not pursuing a formal diagnosis at all, but I'd like to try to implement some of the strategies -- especially the ones for the aggressive outbursts/tantrums to see if they help at all... 

thanks!!

#2 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Perhaps The Explosive Child, by Ablom, Greene. Not specific to your dx or any other, this book offers insight into the causes of behavior, and some strategies for problem solving.

Good luck!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would recommend the following sites:  www.SPDFoundation.net, www.FHautism.com, and www.SensoryWorld.com.

Hope that is helpful.

~Marla Roth-Fisch

award winning author/illustrator Sensitive Sam

VP board of directors SPD Foundation

#4 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I recommending seeing an Occupational therapist to nail down what sort of sensory diet would be most helpful for your child. Most of my DD's meltdowns were sensory related.

How old is the child? How are they schooled?

Why no eval?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

We homeschool, and it really isn't a problem...  both my husband I and think there's something amiss, but not that its a  big deal....  BUT, i would like a few techniques to help him deal with social strategies and the meltdowns...  (I really relate to a few posts by people here and its always linked back to either aspergers or sensory processing disorder, so thats why im asking for books that deal with those)... He's 7.  And, I'm really starting to believe in the diet/behaviour link.  We follow a pretty healthy whole food, mostly dairy free diet usually but over the holidays ate HORRIBLY...  and his behaviour TANKED!  Now that we're back on track...  its lessening...

#6 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

ps -- thanks for the websites/books.  I've got a bunch of reading to do... :)

#7 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsey Biel, OTR/L and Nancy Peske

It even has a chapter on teens and sensory issues.

#8 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM

I love the out of sync child, it's not exactly targeted toward older children but it will give you a great understanding of SPD

Mama of 3, living in beautiful British Columbia Canada.

http://velcroandvideogames.wordpress.com/

#9 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM

I really like the Asperger's Answer Book. 

Also Tony Atwood's book has good suggestions for an older child, and the Mislabeled Child has good suggestions for older kids. 

#10 of 14 Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Books:

The out of synch child & the out of synch child has fun.

1001 idea for kids with Aspergers.

we also watched the Temple Grandin movie and it really opened my eyes to how he may be feeling sensory wise.

We see an OT which has help a ton !! They can really help figure out what type of sensory issues your son is having and diffierent ideas to meet the sensory need. My son needs a ton of heavy lifting and body input, so we put in the "juicer" Basically smoosh him under a big bean bag (don;t worry his head is out so he can breathe, and he loves it) And we haul firewood daily, the repeitive heavy motion is queit calming for him

Also Our son was dx. with Aspergers and SPD at 4yrs old. We went on a completely dairy free,  grain free, sugar free diet (Gaps and then switched to SCD) when he was dx. we have been on it for almost a year and a half. and we have seen incredible results :) The first six months was rough but I look back now and my child is compeletely different in meltdown raging terms than a year and a half ago. I would like to start adding some traditional grains, but am scared we may regress back to where we were :(   Oh and he dosen't mind it one bit! We have been out and people have tried to offer him food he can't eat and he sweetly replies to them (while looking at his feet) "I'm on restricted diet" . He never asks to eat anything different, even while seeing what other people eat; it almost like he knows his body just can not handle it, I think he feels better too!  

Hopefully you can find something helpful for your son!

#11 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Agree on the Out-of-Sync-Child, and the Out of Sync Child has fun. Have you checked out any of Temple Grandin's books? They Way I See It is good. There's one called The Autistic Brain too. This site has some recommendations for books too. http://www.squidoo.com/sensory-processing-disorders

#12 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Thanks for asking the question crazytownmama and thanks for those that responded. I'm in a similar situation with an explosive son with regular meltdowns. These books and recommendations are very helpful.

We also do a social skills group with about 3 other kids my son's age. That way, the psychologist can help the kids manage their behavior and sensory issues while navigating through common situations occuring in life. We've been very pleased with our group.

#13 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFhomeschoolMom View Post

We also do a social skills group with about 3 other kids my son's age. That way, the psychologist can help the kids manage their behavior and sensory issues while navigating through common situations occuring in life. We've been very pleased with our group.

oooohhh...  how did you find your social skills group? 

#14 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM

I second the reccomendation for the Explosive Child.

My son has epilepsy, sensory sensitivities, anxiety and he just explodes sometimes. It was so bad 3 years ago that I had to call the police once (he was 8 years old).

I read and read and read, so many books. The Explosive Child was the one that really helped me get my head around it. I tried The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child, but those techniques did not work for him. He was usually cooperative, but when he exploded it was so violent and so destructive that the usual methods did not help.

I had to learn to let go of a lot - if bowling alleys were too loud for him, well, I did not force him to go to birthday parties at bowling alleys. Movie theaters were sensory overload, so we didn't see any movies. I realized that these things were just not that important. He could not stand seams in his socks, so, well, he wears seamless socks (I highly recc Lands End and Hannah Anderson for sensitive kids clothes).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page