Undergraduate Special Needs Project - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I'm Olivia Joyce, a senior at Union College. Since September I have been conducting a senior project in Psychology. My work at a special needs camp, Camp Paul (Chelmsford, MA), and at a special needs school, Wildwood (Schenectady, NY), inspired me to further investigate special needs and potentially pursue a career in education. 

My senior project aims to understand the ways in which the relationship between typically developing siblings, and special needs siblings effect a mother's stress level. In order to study such trends I have been working to distribute a small survey to mothers of children with special needs. 

If you're interested in taking this short survey (~5-10 minutes to complete) please follow this link  https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/unioncollegepsychology

I would be happy to answer any questions through my email joyceo@garnet.union.edu!

Thank you!
Olivia
#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 PM

I took the survey. I do have a suggestion.. many of the questions assume the disabled child is verbal. Perhaps there should be a question pertaining to if your child has language skills. :)

autismribbon.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have another suggestion. Some of the questions arent clear if you mean "at this time" or "ever." For example, my DD had tons of speech therapy, but it was a long time ago. I wasnt sure what you were looking for.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting observation! I'll consider that and try to make it more cohesive.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my survey!

#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Great suggestion! I'll look into amending that. Thank you for your time!

#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmm, I did this but I'm not sure how useful my answers are.  For example, I answered that my typical child has low self-control.. and he does compared to many other kids, but he's 3, so I think he's pretty normal for 3, you know?  Also the section on stress didn't specify whether the stress to be reported was related to my kid or not.... rather than to, say, having my MIL visit for 10 days. :)

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help and response! I understand that it might seem that your answers are not 'helpful' but in fact the way that I'll analyze the data will take into account sibling age and appropriate behaviors and would compare your family to similar families. Thanks again! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page