calling 504 experts =] - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to find some concrete evidence for/against adding supplemental services to a 504-- such as social work or physical therapy consult.

One of my DD has a 504 and could benefit some social work support. Not daily, weekly, but rather as a support and someone to do some role playing/social situations with directly related to her disability. The Physical Therapist also wants to be a consult for her but is limited to the schools view of 504s.

She has some modifications to fit the school day to her disability on her 504.

The school does not want to add supplemental services to her 504, but said they could do an IEP (maaaayyyybe). She does not have any direct educational or behavorial concerns that would justify an  IEP (am not against an IEP at all if it gets the support she needs, I just think that it more than she needs and also would place her on already burdened Spec.Ed caseloads). She would be OHI (other health impaired) on an IEP. I just think an IEP ,in my DDs case, is making a mountain out of a molehill.

I was under the impression from www.wrightslaw.com and other sources that she could get supplemental services directly related to her disability on a 504.

But I can not find a printed- official statement....anyone have some resources?

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

none of the 504s I've seen added supplemental services. I've only seen them added to IEPs with measurable goals attached to them.

personally, I think its a nasty little loophole. I think kids are denied things that would help them because they aren't primarily about academic outcomes and measurable.

Is there anyway you could do this privately?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page