Pursuing Diagnosis, Possible Aspergers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After a long time of concerns, we are having our son formally evaluated for possible aspergers and or other things like ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, etc.

We are right at the beginning and I'm already feeling so overwhelmed and conflicted about the process. I'm also feeling very alone because I don't know many people who've been through this and even after many, many searches online I'm still not finding a lot of the real-life experiences.

So glad to find this forum and hopefully not feel quite so alone about this anymore.

#2 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Welcome :)

How old is your child?  What information can we share to help you?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Hello and welcome.

I have a 16 year old DD who is on the spectrum and doing awesome, and I work in a school with special needs children. There is so much hope and so much progress can be made, no matter how the diagnosis comes out.

How old is your son? Does he go to school/preschool?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM

I'm also new as well i joined hoping to find ppl out there who may have children with similar problems as my son. I have searched and read so much and im still unsure how u actually get ur child diagnosed with anything. I've had add/dd thrown out there by doctors but with all the research ive done on my own i feel i can rule all this out. I just want answers
#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Hey guys,

We have been on the fence about getting an evaluation for our daughter, who sometimes exhibits behaviors in line with Asperger's or possibly OCD. My suspicions began around age 2 or so; it seemed primarily sensory issues were what was interfering with her ability to enjoy regular toddler experiences, so rather than go the full evaluation route I found an occupational therapist that we see usually once a week for a few months now, which has definitely been helping to a degree though, I don't think there is any quick fix. She just had her 3 yr. old check-up, where the ped. asked me some standard questions off a questionnaire and recommended she go for a formal evaluation at a nearby university's program. Her OT and I are on the fence, as she seems borderline and I are not planning to enroll her in a formal preschool program anytime soon. So I think she's ok~, but will probably start the process soon so I can have more information to go on.

Am interested to hear others' experiences as well, as the not knowing what to expect is one reason I have put this off, coupled with the fact that some weeks she seems fine, then out of nowhere she goes back to being scared of kids, bothered by overwhelming stimuli, "lining up" various objects, etc. I have noticed a strong correlation to reintroducing cow milk products into her diet and her koo-koo behavior. I stopped the milk around age 2, noticing that her lifelong recurrent vomiting, stuffy nose, and hives suddenly cleared up. Now I'm starting to think she might be on the autism spectrum if she were put back on milk, besides the other ill effects. 

Sorry if I am getting off-topic, just so relieved to find others going through this process. Will post any updates as the evaluation process progresses.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page