Letter by the parents of an autistic child to the parents of his middle school classmates - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have a SN child, but I found this most touching and I will certainly share the sentiments with my middle schooler

Dear Parents of Children in Our Son's Class

As an aside, my DS, an elite young soccer player, has been playing futsal (kind of indoor soccer) this winter on a team which includes two special needs brothers. One of the boys,14 year old M, is on the spectrum and it has been an honor and pleasure for DS to play with him. Yes, he makes mistakes, he goes in too hard in a tackle sometimes, he doesn't completely understand the nuances of the game, but then again neither do most of the NT boys that play in the league. But he gives it his all, and is doing really well. It seems like soccer is part of his therapy, and the coach is so patient with him, explaining very carefully and clearly what he should be doing, he uses my DS as an example, and asks him to watch what DS does on the field. On Saturday's game M pushed a boy out of bounds, not maliciously, just to get the ball, but it was a dangerous play so he was sent off for a couple of minutes, M was distraught, but the coach calmed him down, said it was okay, but just not the way you slow a player down, and he explained how to do it another way.

M clearly loves the game of soccer, and definitely has been watching it on TV or player Fifa because his goal celebrations are magnificent! Generally goal celebrations are not encouraged, but the coach, who is also the owner of the facility, has no problem with him celebrating his goals, everyone celebrates along with him, including the opposing team.

Playing futsal with M this winter is an experience my DS will never forget.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 2 Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fantastic article!  Thanks for sharing.  Great to hear of your son's experiences with his team mate. 

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page