Diagnosed with PDD-NOS (misdiagnosed ??) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thank you heather bug, this week will be the week of interviews for the therapist that I will hire for my son. I am very nervous...I just want to make the right choice for him.... Hopefully I can jot down some questions to ask? and not forgeteyesroll.gif.... today I prayed that  everything turns out well for him and God gives him a happy life. for right now loving him to pieces. joy.gif

BTW he has transitioned into a variable classroom at daycare, where there are older kids, and he is doing really good. He has officially started tantrums that last a few minutes, which I walk away telling him when his ready we can talk and a minute after I walk away he calms down....hoping these do not get worse. 

To all MOMS...ANY experiences with tantrums with a child with minimum verbal skills?????

#32 of 34 Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myson2010 View Post

To all MOMS...ANY experiences with tantrums with a child with minimum verbal skills?????

Regarding tantrums, ignoring is a really good strategy. I always tell the families I work with , "Be careful what behavior you reward because you will get more of it!" With non-verbal kids, (actually, all kids)  make sure that you acknowledge that he IS communicating something to you. So, you could say "I know you want___ but we don't have any." or" I know you are upset about leaving the park but we have to go now." This helps him know that, even though he doesn't have the words to tell you, he is still being an effective communicator. There is power in communication, whether it be with words, actions, gestures...

#33 of 34 Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Myson, our DS has gone through 2 real tantrum stages now and it took some trial and error to figure out what worked best.  I tried exactly what aspeechthx said and it worked when he was younger (maybe 2.5ish) but he recently went through another stage that also included lashing out at me (only me) and included him hitting some times.

For the hitting tantrums, I started off saying firmly "no hitting, we use gentle hands, ouch!" and turning away or sometimes even getting up and removing myself form him.  But I quickly found that when I turned away it seemed to escalate whatever emotions were triggering the tantrum in the first place and he got more and more upset.  (ok, it took me a few weeks to figure that out heh.)  I actually had to actually get down with him, model gentle touching, and hug/kiss him right away while saying very simple things "gentle, nice touching, mommy loves you."  This was hard sometimes because he would sometimes hit me once or twice more but then he very quickly calmed himself down and wanted reassurance and cuddles.  That seemed to work really well and he stopped after another week and a half or so.

So I guess I'd say - VERY simple communication acknowledging his feelings, then see what works best in terms of attention, your own emotional response, etc. 

#34 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!!! busy busy busy lately.... how are you guys? 

My little boy started ABA services this week and so far they are just getting to know him.  He has adjusted well to the therapist that came by, he will be getting 10 hours of services a week and see how that goes?>! 

He has been getting speech therapy so when he saw them walk in with big bags of toys, he got very excited(loves the attention lol) and was ready to play immediately. so far just play this week, and then we will be setting goals.  

nothing to do with therapy yet... but I have noticed he is babbling a lot more, and looking at us more for communication. I am so desperate for him to start talking to us and expressing himself. I will never wish for material stuff or fancy vacations but the simple things of life.... my son to speak....

Tags
Autism , Childhood Speech Language And Listening Problems , The Parents Guide To Speech And Language Problems , A Strange World Autism Aspergers Syndrome And Pdd Nos A Guide For Parents Partners Professional Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page