What should we need to do for preparing our Child for Kindergarten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parents often wonder if their child is ready academically, emotionally and is socially mature enough for the big changes ahead of them. Kindergarten is the biggest leap your child will make academically for the next couple of years. What are your steps to your child onto the path of a successful Kindergarten?
#2 of 3 Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Bumping. Does anyone have any information?

#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I enrolled my children in preschool at age 4. In schools here, Alabama, children are expected to know the little things like ABCs, colors, how to write their name unassisted, etc before kindergarten. In kindergarten they are placed in 3 reading groups as to how well they can read at the beginning of the school year, yes I said READ, I was surprised too! I have 3 children that have always been the youngest in their class bc their birthdays are all during summer vacation. My 2 girls, did fine starting kindergarten at age 5, but my son it's a different story. His 1st year in kindergarten didn't go so well, thou he excelled in preschool. Due to him being younger than the rest of the class & being a boy (girls mature sooner than boys, I'll point out) he just wasn't ready to really listen & pay attention enough to learn. His teacher & I decided he should repeat kindergarten. This year he has made all As! He is the to reader in his class, reading 10-15 wpm! I was so proud to get this report from his teacher last week! So.....a number of things determine whether a child is ready for kindergarten. This is just my experience with my children. I have learned most teachers recommend a boy starting kindergarten when they are 6 if they turn 5 after May. If there's anything else I might could answer, I'll try lol, just let me know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page