DS has Sensory Issues and makes CONSTANT noise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS was recently diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder.  He goes for OT and is currently doing listening therapy as well.  He also has Auditory Processing Disorder.  We are homeschooling this year for 1st grade and he is doing really well with it.  I like being home with him all day, and I love homeschooling.  The only issue I'm having is that he never stops making noise.  He is nonstop all day.  It seriously puts me on edge.  I don't get a lot of time to myself, let alone quiet time and the constant noise is so annoying.  I'm also thinking of putting him in public school next year, and I'd like to find a way to remediate the noise making.  It doesn't seem like he can even help it.  Is this something the listening therapy will help with?  Is there anything else I can do to improve this?

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#2 of 7 Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 AM

It sound like this is the way your son is calming himself. You can try to include some calming sensory therapy into his diet. Like swinging or rolling him slowly in a blanket . Also, pressing him between two pillows or having him wear a back pack with some books in it on and off during the day.  You can find more ideas in My Out Of Sync CHild has Fun..book It is very helpful. Good luck and when it gets really bad go to the laundry room and look at magazine to calm down like I do

#3 of 7 Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Maybe he'd do well with a chewy necklace? My son used one for a while because he was chewing his shirt, but he also used to make a lot of little clicky noises with his mouth. If your son could be gently directed to chew instead of make the noises, it might satisfy his urge in a way that's less bothersome to those around him. I bought a simple round necklace made to be worn by a mom for her teething baby to grab and chew, but there are lots of variations out there. Good luck- this kind of thing drives me crazy too.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#4 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM

My ds(Asperger's) has done this ever since I can remember. He's 11 now, and if he isn't making his favorite tttttt noise with his mouth, he's talking to himself. LOUDLY lol. I prefer the tttt. I don't even notice that much anymore, if anything I'm glad to hear it because I know he's happy and safe. I've tried every suggestion given, nothing helps for long. He does it in school as well. They've also tried everything. Chewy things worked for a very short time, when he was given his school id this year he was quiet for a day because he chewed it so bad, it's almost unreadable, they took it away and now he wears a sticker with his name and homeroom #. He's been picked on for the noises and chewing, so we don't know what to do. The majority of his teachers and classmates do accept it though. He's had kids stick up for him about it every year, so it's not all bad. It's his coping mechanism, so

I really don't want to take it away completely. When he was little and at home or at an appointment or something and I needed him to be absolutely quiet, I could give him his favorite blankets and he'd cuddle or chew on them for a few minutes, but that's not socially acceptable anymore(he still does it at home though, or he cuddles his favorite stuffed animal, Sonic the Hedgehog, gives me a couple minutes of silence lol). If I'm in a mood where it bothers me, I just grab my iPhone and headphones and listen to my favorite songs for a little while.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#5 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you mean he is making funny (or not so funny noises) or being loud in general? 

My DS is talking alllll day and screaming and bouncing of the walls and I actually really do think about noise killing headphones, because it frazzles my mind. 

Plus, I am diagnosed with ADHD myself and started medication, which really helps me to tune out the constant noise. 

And AUDIOBOOKS - thats something that really quiets them (both of them - DD is like paralized :) ) - but I don't know if that would help if your son has auditive processing disorder. 

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#6 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

The chewy necklace sounds like a good idea.  I think I'll try that. His OT actually recommended gum, but I hate to give him that all of the time.  DS also chews is shirt and his nails.  To answer the questions about what kind of noise he is making, he most often sounds like the backup beat to a dance/ techno number.  So, at least it is catchy, right?  I've tried to redirect and find other things for him to do to get him to stop, but he says "I can't stop."  I really don't think he can help it.  Headphones used to work to keep him quiet.  When he started the listening he couldn't even walk with the headphones on, because he was so hyper-focused on the music.  He has gotten over it, though, and now he can make noise again even with them on.  When he is not humming, etc, he is talking loudly.  He does not have an inside voice.  The audiobooks and headphones are definitely worth a try as well, I'll give that a shot.  Hopefully, he gets an understanding teacher in the fall. 

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#7 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsalem View Post

The chewy necklace sounds like a good idea.  I think I'll try that. His OT actually recommended gum, but I hate to give him that all of the time.  DS also chews is shirt and his nails.  To answer the questions about what kind of noise he is making, he most often sounds like the backup beat to a dance/ techno number.  So, at least it is catchy, right?  I've tried to redirect and find other things for him to do to get him to stop, but he says "I can't stop."  I really don't think he can help it.  Headphones used to work to keep him quiet.  When he started the listening he couldn't even walk with the headphones on, because he was so hyper-focused on the music.  He has gotten over it, though, and now he can make noise again even with them on.  When he is not humming, etc, he is talking loudly.  He does not have an inside voice.  The audiobooks and headphones are definitely worth a try as well, I'll give that a shot.  Hopefully, he gets an understanding teacher in the fall. 

This is the one I got for DS:

http://www.amazon.com/Teething-Bling-Shaped-Pendant-Necklace/dp/B001ANVUUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363522929&sr=8-1&keywords=teething+bling

It looks like a piece of jade so doesn't look babyish like some others.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page