Sensory processing disorder - and peeing ALOT ?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

did or does anyone have a similar problem? My 4 year old DS has sensory processing disorder, and since 10 days or something he started to pee ALOT. As in every 5 - 10 min. Every time he gets upset about it, often he looses it and has a full blown tantrum.

He has no belly pain, his urine is clear (stixed it three times), he penis looks totally unremarkable, and he doesn't need to go when he is asleep (as in at night).

His water intake did not change.

I have an appointment with our doctor on friday. I am just wondering...could it be his sensory issues? And if so, what to do?

thanks.

a confused mom ...dizzy.gif

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's definitely worth checking it out with your ped, please do--but my 7 yo went through this this winter, and it more or less passed on its own. My son definitely has a lot of sensory issues, I don't know if it's related.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#3 of 22 Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

How much is he actually urinating (quantity, rather than frequency)? I wonder if he is just in a stage of hyper-sensitivity to the feeling of needing to pee. Or if he is having a hard time controlling the muscles. It is interesting that he doesn't go much at night - sounds like he is reacting to the feeling of just a tiny bit of pressure on the bladder. Is he new at using the toilet? Afraid of accidents?

I am not sure from your post what he is getting upset about - the need to go so often, could it be that it is painful, or just interrupting playtime?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 22 Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hi 

we went to the doc today and he agrees that it`s probably a mixture of a passed unpleasant feeling wit a urithritis (no signs of that anymore) and his sensory issues. 

he assured us, that it will pass. we'll try to give him some cranberrie juice to fight any hidden infection/inflammation. 

@mamaruh: i think it's the interruption of playtime/eating or whatever he does. he is dry since he was 22 month old, completely on his own...

#5 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Sounds exactly like my kids...look into foods high in oxalates and take out the foods he's eating that are high/medium. Kids w/ sensory issues/autism are more sensitive to oxalates (among other food sensitivities). You can start reading here: http://lowoxalate.info/

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#6 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 PM

My first thought with excessive urination is Type 1 diabetes.  It was how my DH was diagnosed at 10 years old, he was peeing too much.  I'm pretty sure that isn't what this is, but I wanted to put it on your radar.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#7 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Lazurii, I ruled that out right at the start. It was my first thought, too ;)

thanks treehugginghippie, I'll look into that.

#8 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Oh, good.  I'm glad he doesn't have that.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#9 of 22 Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

Sounds exactly like my kids...look into foods high in oxalates and take out the foods he's eating that are high/medium. Kids w/ sensory issues/autism are more sensitive to oxalates (among other food sensitivities). You can start reading here: http://lowoxalate.info/

yeahthat.gif  Although I wouldn't limit it to oxalates.  Sensory issues can often be reduced (or eliminated) by nailing a food irritant that's not presenting the reaction we're accustomed to seeing.  Salicylates or even just gluten/casein/soy are common irritants for kids with sensory issues (and spectrum disorders).

ETA:  Excessive urination is also a common sign of intolerance/allergy.  I realize this seems to have come on quickly and yes, it might BE a UTI of some sort--but given your child's sensory problems, I would all the more be taking notice of this as another indicator of a food irritant.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#10 of 22 Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just realised that my DH is peeing alot, too! Not nearly as much as DS, but still, like three to four times more frequent than me. Like - every 30 - 60 minutes? I am pretty sure he doesn't at work (who would have time for that) but at home he is like: I just need to pee before I ... (fill blank with whatever) before and after every car drive (even ten minute drives...)

But than - he probably has SPD as well...*sigh*

I'll look into the sensitivities, but we tried that before, and - honestly - it was a pain for no gain whatsoever. We just changed back. But we did it only for about a week or something, and I realise that that might be (or surely is :) ) not enough time, but there was NO change. And it was a nightmare for me to plan our food. Plus I am more in the traditional food camp, less in the "gluten is evil" one. 

But than...I am a bit frazzled at the moment anyway. DD just had an anaphylactic reaction after surgery...which left the doctors very puzzled, because the reaction started like 70 min after surgery. and she got NOTHING in between, not even water. And the reaction was really really fast and frightening. (even for me) - she got tested though and no sign of allergy or gluten intolerance. 

That's a different subject alltogether I guess...

#11 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM

I was reading threw your post and I'm still unclear about all of this! my son is 8and out of no where he started peeing alot! its going on 3weeks and now hes peeing every 5min. I've been reading on line and that this is common in boys between 5-8years old. but i haven't found any thing on sincerity and its relation and autism!
#12 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM

So can anyone help? he's been tested twice for uti and those came out good and hes had blood work and bladder/kidney ultrasound just waiting for those results!
#13 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

In our case it pollakisuria. 
Meaning: peeing a lot without any reason ;). Appears to be quite common in 5 - 8 year olds. 

So, nothing really wrong with DS, thank god.

#14 of 22 Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM

thank you for your response! we're going on 1 and a half months and still no answers.
#15 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffandtired View Post

So can anyone help? he's been tested twice for uti and those came out good and hes had blood work and bladder/kidney ultrasound just waiting for those results!

Be sure they are not just doing urinalysis and that they send out the test for full cultures.  They assume that if the urinalysis is cleared that the cultures would be clear, but I am one of those people that can have a clean urinalysis and when they send for cultures--it shows that I have a raging infection.  But I have to demand that they run the cultures because they don't usually.

Also, I have a food intolerance and the excessive urination came on pretty suddenly.  It got to the point where I absolutely could not take a car ride that lasted longer than 15-20 minutes and I was in my late 30s.  I went through every test they could think to run including a cystoscopy to rule out countless unidentifiable-by-other-means bladder issues.  Nothing.  But in the end, it was the trial run of a special diet (for my son) that fixed the problem and identified the irritants.  Honestly, had I turned my coaching hat onto myself, I'd have probably figured it out before the 3 years that I suffered before finding it by accident.  :/

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#16 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 11:49 AM

tuffandtired did you try a low oxalate diet?

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#17 of 22 Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Mine does this when she's nervous or anxious. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 22 Old 11-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Ya all test results came back good! Just waiting on one. They are checking his hormone balance! Because peeing clear or light constant for so long is not a good sign. The brain can be making the kidneys not work right! Who knew?
#19 of 22 Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM

My son is getting better but 30 to 40 min is still alot.
#20 of 22 Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Treehugginhippie what kind of diet? My son is a real picky eater and has texture problems.but loves healthy eatting!
#21 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffandtired View Post

Treehugginhippie what kind of diet? My son is a real picky eater and has texture problems.but loves healthy eatting!

And that can be a head's up for food problems.

Low oxalate diet means steering clear of foods that are high in a naturally occurring substance called "oxalates".  There are a lot of these kinds of "families" of foods that could irritate your son's system.  For my family, it's salicylates.  For others, it's nightshades.  Not chemicals--they occur in fresh (even organic) foods.  And this is where keeping a log becomes pretty critical.  For instance when I scan a clients log and see that they react after tomatoes, I know it's probably not oxalates--but could be salicylates, phenols, nightshades... and so starts the process of connecting the dots.  But you do best doing this by keeping a detailed log on your son so you can make the process go a lot faster and more effective.  I have one if you want it (a PDF you can print out)  just pm me.

Oxalates are associated with kidney stones, but truly--your son could be reacting to any of the multiple food families or just 1-2 foods that really bug him.

#22 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Here's a great website w/ info about oxalates and how to start a low oxalate diet. http://lowoxalate.info/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page