Vaccinating your child with ASD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, 

I'm back here again! Everyone here is always so helpful I thought I'd ask for some more input on something that has come up recently for us. I chose not to post in the vaccinations forums because I really am wanting input just from mamas with LOs with autism spectrum disorders and not from the community at large. I hope that's ok.

When my son was born we chose to delay vaccinations until he was 2 years old because I planned to (and did) breastfeed him until around then and he was staying at home with me. I'm not here to debate if that was the right decision. One of the main reasons we did that is because there were no choices where we live about selecting or spacing vaccines- they mostly came in big combo shots- and we felt that this was too much for a little baby to handle and I'm happy with that decision.

Before DS turned two we started having concerns about his development and it turns out he does have mild ASD and SPD or simply what his doctors are now calling "autistic traits and tendencies".

Anyway, we just found an amazing preschool and they have strict policies about immunizations- we'd really like to start DS there in the fall or next winter. DS will also most likely have to get fully immunized to start school when he is 5 as well. That's just the way it is here, where we live- there's not really any getting around it unless we lie and forge documents or homeschool.

As of now, we haven't started getting his shots- I have read that the direct connection between autism and immunizations has not been proved, but also that ingredients found in immunizations may have deleterious effects on children with ASD. I feel kind of frozen in terms of what to do here- my rational side says to start DS on his immunizations, my emotional side is freaking out a bit. DS's autism is quite mild (and he is getting sooo much better, it's amazing) I'm so scared to do anything that might affect him negatively. My DH doesn't think that starting DS on a full immunization schedule will have any effect on DS in this way. 

Basically, I just want to hear if anyone had an experience where vaccines did seem to set their LO back. Or if you think that vaccines don't affect the development of autism or won't affect any progress being made. Any thoughts or opinions or experiences are welcome as I have an open mind.

Thanks as always...

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Every decision you may make now may be based on whether it will set your son back and how to keep him strong and steady.   I know this feeling very well.

I went back on forth on many issues, mainly, diet, as I did not want my son (or daughter for that matter) to have a limited diet, and feel different.  But, I have come to a peaceful place about this, after many years, because I realize, that they are different, and as such, need a diet that supports their optimal development.

They also need a medical plan in place and you need one too, decided on by you and your husband that encourages optimal development and health.

I became very educated over time in homeopathic treatments for illness so that we could manage and help my son become well if he did become sick.  I have hundreds of dollars of remedies in my cabinet at home.  I also chose an environment for preschool that would work with us.  That's the first hurdle.  It may be that you and your husband would feel more comfortable with a no vaccination choice if you met other families around you who made a similar choice or were able to find a preschool that is very comfortable with his vaccination status.  Usually, Waldorf Schools, Montessori or other alternative programs that have strong philosophies about health and wellness attract other parents with similar philosophies.

I don't remember where you live (somewhere overseas) so I have no idea what kind of environment you are trying to navigate.  I only know that when I used to panic the way that you describe it's because there was a reason for it.  My logic and reasonable mind would then research and find the reasons that my heart was leading me to.

If you must give him vaccines I suggest you research ways to aide his body in 1.) creating a normal healthy immune response to them (my favorite way is with homeopathy)  2.) supporting his GI, kidney and liver functioning where his blood is filtered and waste products need to be carried out of his body (cilantro, chorella and probiotics) and SPACE them to allow his body to rest and recover before the next one.  There are vaccine clearing protocals created by well known homeopaths that you can research and www.mercola.com has good info about how to support liver and kidney functioning.....www.inspiringhomeopathy.com has good info on vaccine protocals.

I have spent years trying to help my son be present for his life, to learn and enjoy, and I know how much is as stake.  I know that doesn't make you feel any better if you decide you must vaccinate but given my own life experience this is where I am coming from.

#3 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

This is such a very, very personal choice. All that I can tell you is that I would never (ever!) vaccinate any of my children, but most particularly our one with ASD. I have too much understanding of the biochemical pathways in our son that are not functioning properly at the moment, and I believe vaccinating him would only harm his health further. We also have a family history of many auto-immune diseases and an aunt of mine died within 24 hours after being vaccinated as an infant. I always planned on doing selective/delayed vaccination but the day never came! The more reading I did (and the more babies I had smile.gif) the clearer and more confident I felt in my choice.

I'm sorry you're living in a place where your decision whether or not to vaccinate impacts your educational choices, that's really difficult. If you do decide to vaccinate, you could consider get some testing done first to make sure his immune system and methylation (detoxification) system is functioning optimally although there's no real diagnostic test that can be done to ensure a child won't be vaccine damaged. Also (sounds obvious but you'd be surprised!) don't vaccinate him unless he is absolutely 110% healthy on the day of. No runny nose, no rash, etc. Also supporting him with optimal nutrition before, during and after would probably help. 

Good luck mama. 

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#4 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

As always, lots to think about.

Funny how almost immediately after posting this topic, the news has exploded with related articles. Not helping me in my decision process. I will spend more time on this. 

Thanks.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

As always, lots to think about.

Funny how almost immediately after posting this topic, the news has exploded with related articles. Not helping me in my decision process. I will spend more time on this. 

Thanks.

I recommend you take a look at the vaccine board for more information on the study just published. The study is probably the most disingenuous piece of research ever published on the subject to date.

There are two threads on the topic.  

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1380655/new-study-shows-no-connection-between-full-vaccine-schedule-and-autism/0_50

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1380803/critique-of-destefano-et-al-2013-study/0_50

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Im reading alot about GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) at the moment (livinglife put me onto it awhile ago). The author, dr Campbell Macbride,  argues that  bad gut health is what leads to asd in the first place, and would also cause   adverse reactions  to vaccines.  So a child with asd would be the last child who should be vaccinated. She suggests that every child have their gut tested before going ahead with vaccines. Any child with gut dybiosis (unhealthy gut) should avoid vaccines. 

Btw livinglife, the link http://www.inspiringhomeopathy.com/ doesnt seem to work....im looking into this myself.

#7 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Hi Contactmaya!  Try www.tinussmits.com.  That should work.  :)

#8 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM

At the advice of our geneticist, who isn't particularly pro-vaccine with his patients, we have given selected vaxes to my autistic (and metabolic condition, so more risk factors) son in the last 2-3 years. He only recommends when there is disease (like measles) spreading in our state for the live vaxes. He's probably almost fully vaxed now for the older kid diseases anyway. He doesn't have the varicella but I imagine that's coming. I haven't seen any reactions in him but that first vax was hard. I worried.

My son was exposed to whopping cough this year--heavily exposed. He had the DPT last year. I know it doesn't always work that way but he has immunity (we tested to see his response) and I'm glad we avoided that illness with him. I think the effects of that would have been worse for him developmentally than the vax and I know that is a controversial one.

I don't know the correct answer for your child. I know there are legitimate concerns. I am not going to say vaxes aren't a potential issue for some kids on the spectrum. I think our kids are very different in their causes and, so, there is no blanket correct decision on these things.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 9 Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM

As others have said, this is a very personal choice.  You will find that parents of kids with ASD run the full gamut on this issue.

My son was born with autism, as well as a couple of other genetic disorders. We do vaccinate, mostly on schedule - a couple a little delayed.  He has never had an adverse reaction other than a mild fever and some tenderness at the injection site.  Vaccines have never set back his development in anyway. 

We have a family history of severe complications to vaccine preventable diseases, so that strongly influenced our decision.

It's a hard decision and there is no one right answer.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page