seeking resources for a friend with teens, ADHD, OCD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am seeking some resources for a friend of mine. She has two teens who have been on medication for ADHD for most of their schooled life. Since they have hit their teens, OCD and hypochondriac behavior has sit in and is slowly getting worse. One the one hand she thinks her divorce may have triggered some of this behavior. On the other hand, when her teens are OFF of their ADHD medication during the summer (when not in school), the OCD and hypochondriac behavior disappears. I guess what I am looking for is:

1.) Stories of other parents who have experienced these awful side effects of ADHD medications.

2.) Any possible natural therapy or alternative therapy for ADHD.

3.) Any research literature that shows a connection between ADHD medication and psychological problems in teens.

My heart just breaks for them. Her teens can't even enjoy a normal childhood because they are constantly convinced they have some serious illness, are constantly fearful and anxious, and then get depressed and even more fearful because of the depression. She is getting them to a good therapist soon but I can't help but think that there is some connection here.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Anyone have any resources or advice? Bump

#3 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ive noticed that my posts on  asking about adhd got few if any replies....sorry i cant help...

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see it has already been over a month since the original post but I wanted to reply anyway. My DS (age 13) had OCD behaviors on Concerta and Vyvanse. He is now on Vayarin, L-lysine and GABA with no more OCD behaviorsthumb.gif He also says that he doesn't have an attention problem anymore so I take that as the supplements are working. Hypochondria (psychosomatic illness) and anxiety were also issues for my son while he was in public school. We removed him from that school environment and placed him privately. He still has some anxiety issues but it doesn't have nearly the negative impact on him anymore. If the kids are always coming up with illnesses to miss school (ie school refusal) it may be prudent to uncover why they don't want to attend. We found out that my son was bullied by peers and teachers. PubMed and Google Scholar have lots of articles about the side effects of meds. Hope that helps!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page