"LDHD"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

Have any of you heard of "LDHD"?  This is (according to my grandmother, who may have misheard) the diagnosis of my quite troubled young cousin.  He is a very sweet boy with some serious attention and impulse control issues.  My grandmother wants advice, but based on this diagnosis I can't find out anything online.  Is there something similar she could mean?  Clearly ADHD seems to fit, but she doesn't think that's what my uncle told her...

Also, if it is ADHD, is that associated with quite severe trouble?  Of course there must be a spectrum, but I am curious to know how intensive the difficulties involved can be.

thanks so much and happy Arbor Day

D.

ed for spelling error: DO

#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Also, if it is ADHD, is that associated with quite severe trouble

Yes. It is. 

I am constantly trying to keep my DS from killing himself. He needs constant attention. 

never heard of anything like LDHD. Probably misheard, I'd guess.

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#3 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 PM

I looked up that acronym and found Lymphocyte Depletion Hodgkin's Diseasewhich I think is some kind of blood-based cancer....

Other possibilities... ADD is the old name for ADHD. LD is learning disability. I think you might see "LD-ADHD" as a label for having ADHD plus a learning disability. Combining the two gets LD-ADD, which kind of sounds like LDHD. But it's rare for hyperactive or combined-type ADHD to be called ADD; people mostly use it as a shorthand for "Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, primarily Inattentive Type." There's ODD, which will cause behavior problems.

Some kids with hyperactive-type (or combined-type) ADHD can have some pretty extreme behavior. In what ways is he troubled?

#4 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yeah, I've never heard of LDHD either.  Do you know who gave he diagnosis.  Sometimes people will make up new abbreviations for things that the general public do not use.  It makes it easier to track down if you know where the diagnosis came from.  (The school psychiatrist at my son's school uses abbreviations that no one I know has ever heard of).

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM

I am a medical professional and I don't know of that diagnosis, if that helps. I don't know how old your cousin is, but behavior issues are common in many children and teens with ADHD.
#6 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for the responses!

So, as you had predicted, LDHD is not anything real, it was just, I think, a mishearing of LD-ADHD, as Cyllya had guessed.

What the more mysterious diagnosis now is, is Non-Verbal Learning Disorder (plus ADHD).  This is something that I and my family do not have any experience with, and my cousin, who is about 12, is being asked to leave his public school and enroll in a special school (he lives in a state where not every school accommodates, and this is made up for with special schools elsewhere).  I will write a separate post asking for advice on this problem.

thanks so much all!

D

#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Yikes, really? That is so... Backwards. Inclusion is the best option for kids like your cousin, making them go to a "special school" really only serves very low functioning kids with behavior and medical issue that need a lot of extra support. I have never heard of states doing this, in the state I live, kids are required by law to be in "the least restrictive environment" and would never be sent to a special Ed only school unless it was absolutely necessary in their IEP or ARD after much evaluation.
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Schools vary so widely that I would not assume that the school he is enrolling in is ONLY for low functioning kids. I also don't agree that gen ed is always the best option. It depends on so, so many factors.

Middle school is an absolute nightmare for kids with sensory issues, social issues, behavior issues etc. This is the age with many families with money withdraw their children from public school and put them into private schools that are smaller, more flexible, or provide specific support for kids with special needs. I believe it is absolutely appropriate for public school system to provide options where kids can be successful.

There is a massive difference between being able to do the same academic work as other kids your age, and being able to get through a day with bells ringing constantly, lockers slamming, every teacher having a different set of rules, every teacher interpreting your IEP differently, the teachers for specials having NO training in special ed, etc.

"Least restrictive environment" is just an excuse many school systems use to NOT meet the complex needs of kids who are neurology different.

My DD became a high school drop out at 16 because there isn't a single high school in our entire city -- public or private -- that can meet her needs because she is on the spectrum with sensory issues that are off the charts and an anxiety disorder, but is really smart in areas other than math. She is now going to community college, which is working out well for her, but everything that it takes to make it possible is only possible because we have money and education. If we didn't, she really wouldn't have an future because *she cannot attend a traditional school*. Gen Ed isn't doable for her; she can't even make herself walk through the door. Special ed isn't an option because it isn't the "least restrictive environment."

DaisyO -- I hope the school works out well for him. I know a lot of wonderful people working in special ed and I hope that he will now have access to teachers and other professional who can really reach him and help him find out how HE can be successful. Also, the book "quirky kids" by Klass has information on non-verbal learning disability and other closely related disorders. It's a good starting place.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page