Early Intervention for speech - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 22 month old (third child) needs speech therapy and we're getting started with Early Intervention.  I'm just starting to learn about the system, but I understand that there are goals written in to an IFSP, which is the next step in the process for us.  My daughter didn't meet the minimum criteria for services (2 standard deviations below the mean in one area, or 1.5 in two areas) but was qualified for services based on the discretion of the screener because of the discrepancy between her speech and other abilities (she scored in the 4th percentile for expressive language and 98th for receptive language).  

Do I need to be concerned about having the IFSP written so that she'll continue to be eligible for services until her speech catches up to her other skill areas rather than when it reaches some other arbitrary number?  

-Shannon

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM

The IFSP focuses mainly on goals.  You will set specific goals that she should be meeting language wise and then work towards those goals.  They automatically age out at age 3 and can then be evaluated to see if they qualify for services in the school system at age 3.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with pp. don't worry. They usually start the transition process several months before 36m.

I found the school system much easier to qualify for.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've had two children in EI. Goals were reassessed every 6 months and updated. Same thing here, they age at on the 3rd birthday but are assessed prior for school based services which I found to be much more difficult (at least in my area) then EI. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Every 6 months your child will be re-evaluated and goals will ne reviewed. The team, including the parents, will determine how to move forward with therapy. There will be a transitions meeting to discuss the transition plan after aging out i.e continuation through school district, privately, no services, etc. Your case coordinator will arrange for evaluators from the school district to evaluate your child and make recommendations for therapy and program placement, if needed. If your child does not
qualify for services, you can always pursue therapy privately through a clinic/provider. Some clinics take insurance, and some even take state assistance programs. Hope this helps. Good luck!
#6 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insights, mommas!  Is there a resource you recommend where I can view examples of goals that might be written in an IFSP?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#7 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Not sure if there is a resource, but you (the parent) should be part of the goal making process. It's based on what you would like to see your child be able to do in that area (i.e. ST, OT, DT, PT, etc).
#8 of 8 Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 AM

It must be different in each state. In Alabama the schools won't get involved till age 5. My son could not hear the 1st yr of his life, so his speech was delayed. When his Dr finally figured out the problem & we got it fixed, he passed his 1st hearing test at age 1 (was given many tests before that.) Dr referred him for speech therapy for an evaluation with a therapist in private practice (these may be available in your area). He had a wonderful therapist & graduated therapy after 3 yrs. He went for 30 min 2 days a week. 1 day was individual therapy, the other day was group therapy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page